Friday, May 31, 2013

Quirks

Jonah has developed some weird habits, and I want to record them here so I don't forget what an oddball he is at this age :)

Walking Blind.  For some reason, he likes to walk around with his eyes closed.  He will start off towards something, and then part way there he squints his eyes and starts giggling.  I can't tell if he can see anything, or if he's just squinting.  But he certainly can't see very well...he is constantly bumping into furniture, running into the wall, tripping over toys.

Good to the Last Bite.  Jonah likes to savor the last bite of everything.  And by savor I mean...take it out of his mouth about 12 times to look at it before popping it back in...putting it back on the plate, picking it up again...moving it around his mouth, but not actually chewing.  As long as there is more food, he's good to keep eating.  But when as soon as it appears there is no more food, he just plays with the last bite.  I often have to take it away from him because it doesn't seem like he's ever going to eat it.  The other day, Brandon was feeding Jonah in his car seat while we drove.  His plan (to minimize mess) was to give Jonah a bite, and after he finished it, give him another bite.  However, Jonah couldn't see that there was more food, so he just played with each bite until Brandon figured out he had to show Jonah the next bite right away.

Shoes.  This kid loves shoes.  Every time I tell him it's time to put his shoes on, he comes running, arms flapping.  At first, I thought maybe he was associating shoes with going somewhere, and that was exciting.  But I think he just really likes to put his shoes on.  In fact, I had to block off the area where I keep his shoes because his favorite thing to do is take every shoe and fling it around the room.  We also can't leave our shoes out, for this same reason.  And because he likes to put them in his mouth....yuck!

Food.  Okay, this last one is not really a weird habit - it's just weird.  Jonah eats a large quantity of food for most meals, but like all kids, he can be a bit picky about what he eats.  He won't eat most vegetables unless they are covered in guacamole.  Certain food he seems to like better as leftovers, other food he won't touch the second time around.  And we have our fair share of flinging food onto the floor.  But there's also a list of foods I know will always be a hit...many of which I don't particularly care for and probably would not have thought to give a toddler if not for Brandon's influence.  Some of Jonah's favorite foods include: sauteed spinach and mushrooms, sardines in mustard sauce, prunes, brussel sprouts baked with bacon and dill, and plain/unflavored yogurt.  Yuck! (Although, I'm certainly not complaining).

No comments: