We packed a lot of entertainment into one day today. First, this weekend was City Wide Garage Sale in Coralville and nearby Tiffin. Get pumped. Brandon had to go into work for the morning, so Jonah and I hit the sales nice and early. We were mostly on the hunt for a summer and fall wardrobe for Jonah, but we were also keeping our eyes open for any deals to be had. I love City Wide day - so many garage sales! And so many people out driving around. After about eight houses, Jonah started to lose his patience, so we headed for home. It was so hard to resist stopping at every house we drove by, though. What if they had just the thing, for just the right price...
We got home, and Jonah went down for a nap while I sat and admired all of our finds. I picked off all the tiny price stickers and put the first load into the washer. I think the best find of the weekend is proving to be a Little Tykes toy hammer that makes all kinds of wacky noises when you bang it against stuff...which I picked up for a quarter! Jonah is a fan.
After Brandon got home from working, I got to go for a run! This is a big deal, because I got to go without a child. It's fun to run with Jonah in the jogger, but I am a wuss and can't go more than a few miles pushing that thing. It is sort of like a sail if there is the slightest breeze. Not to mention we live around some serious hills. (*The first time I took it out for a spin this Spring, I neglected to check the tires, even though it had been sitting in our porch closet all winter...and didn't realize until I got home that I was running with three completely flat tires - now THAT was hard work!)
My run started off well, and I was feeling good (cocky?) so I decided to make a nice big loop on some trails around our house. At precisely the mid-point, when I was as far away as possible from home, I got a huge cramp in my side and had to walk. And I had to go to the bathroom. About 15 minutes later, it started to pour. Like, buckets. I was soaked within seconds. I was walking through a park near our house with plenty of places to shelter out of the rain. But remembering the rain we had a few weeks ago that was pretty much constant for 28 hours, I decided to just keep going instead of waiting it out. At this point, I was able to start running again, so I sloshed my way home through the rain. I trudged up the stairs and turned the handle to our apartment - locked.
I thought maybe Brandon was studying in our room, so I banged on the door. Waited. Banged on the door. Waited. Banged on the door. After about ten minutes, it occurred to me that the call-box outside the front door calls Brandon's cell phone, so I ran downstairs to try that. No luck, he didn't answer. I thought maybe he had put Jonah down for a nap, and then fell asleep himself? But then I noticed that the car was gone. Awesome.
I trudged back up the stairs to wait. Thankfully, it was only a few more soggy minutes before Brandon and Jonah returned. Apparently, when the monsoon started, Brandon decided to go out and look for me. Even though he had no idea what my route was. And he locked the door behind him (without leaving a key). And forgot his phone. But it was a thoughtful gesture, which I appreciate :)
So then later in the afternoon, I went to take Jonah's new-to-him wardrobe out of the dryer, and the clothes were still wet. ...Hmmm, not good. Brandon did some research, and then emptied out our tiny laundry closet, shimmied the washer/dryer stack out of it's narrow space (not an easy task), climbed behind the appliances, and started taking things apart. He began in the most obvious place and started pulling lint out of the dryer vent (something we apparently don't do very often).
And he found a dead bird inside.
The end.
We got home, and Jonah went down for a nap while I sat and admired all of our finds. I picked off all the tiny price stickers and put the first load into the washer. I think the best find of the weekend is proving to be a Little Tykes toy hammer that makes all kinds of wacky noises when you bang it against stuff...which I picked up for a quarter! Jonah is a fan.
After Brandon got home from working, I got to go for a run! This is a big deal, because I got to go without a child. It's fun to run with Jonah in the jogger, but I am a wuss and can't go more than a few miles pushing that thing. It is sort of like a sail if there is the slightest breeze. Not to mention we live around some serious hills. (*The first time I took it out for a spin this Spring, I neglected to check the tires, even though it had been sitting in our porch closet all winter...and didn't realize until I got home that I was running with three completely flat tires - now THAT was hard work!)
My run started off well, and I was feeling good (cocky?) so I decided to make a nice big loop on some trails around our house. At precisely the mid-point, when I was as far away as possible from home, I got a huge cramp in my side and had to walk. And I had to go to the bathroom. About 15 minutes later, it started to pour. Like, buckets. I was soaked within seconds. I was walking through a park near our house with plenty of places to shelter out of the rain. But remembering the rain we had a few weeks ago that was pretty much constant for 28 hours, I decided to just keep going instead of waiting it out. At this point, I was able to start running again, so I sloshed my way home through the rain. I trudged up the stairs and turned the handle to our apartment - locked.
I thought maybe Brandon was studying in our room, so I banged on the door. Waited. Banged on the door. Waited. Banged on the door. After about ten minutes, it occurred to me that the call-box outside the front door calls Brandon's cell phone, so I ran downstairs to try that. No luck, he didn't answer. I thought maybe he had put Jonah down for a nap, and then fell asleep himself? But then I noticed that the car was gone. Awesome.
I trudged back up the stairs to wait. Thankfully, it was only a few more soggy minutes before Brandon and Jonah returned. Apparently, when the monsoon started, Brandon decided to go out and look for me. Even though he had no idea what my route was. And he locked the door behind him (without leaving a key). And forgot his phone. But it was a thoughtful gesture, which I appreciate :)
So then later in the afternoon, I went to take Jonah's new-to-him wardrobe out of the dryer, and the clothes were still wet. ...Hmmm, not good. Brandon did some research, and then emptied out our tiny laundry closet, shimmied the washer/dryer stack out of it's narrow space (not an easy task), climbed behind the appliances, and started taking things apart. He began in the most obvious place and started pulling lint out of the dryer vent (something we apparently don't do very often).
And he found a dead bird inside.
The end.
1 comment:
Gross!!
Post a Comment