Jonah and I headed to Des Moines this weekend so I could run Dam to Dam. My friend Mandy also drove over from Chicago to run with me. Dam to Dam is a fun race that starts north of Des Moines on the dam at Saylorville Lake and winds its way downtown finishing after you cross the dam on the Des Moines River. The scenery is a unique mix of rural country, city neighborhoods and downtown streets. And we had perfect weather for it - 60 and sunny with a few clouds and not much breeze. Here we are at the start, on the dam by Saylorville Lake. The second photo shows 801 Grand in the distance, located near the finish line (would be right behind our heads in the picture on the left). It looked really far away from the starting line!
Before the race, Mandy and I both confessed that our training hadn't gone as well as we had planned and resolved to take it slow and enjoy the race. And so we spent the next few hours chatting and enjoying the lovely day while we made our way downtown. My mom had asked what time I expected to finish so they would know when to go downtown to meet us. I told her when I signed up, my goal was to finish under 2 hours...but given my sub-par training effort, a more realistic estimate was probably 2.5 hours. Haha.
I think the 80's are making a comeback. It seemed everyone in the race was wearing some shade of NEON: yellow, pink, blue, orange, green, purple. Here we are heading towards the first big hill. It was a colorful group.
Before the race, Mandy and I both confessed that our training hadn't gone as well as we had planned and resolved to take it slow and enjoy the race. And so we spent the next few hours chatting and enjoying the lovely day while we made our way downtown. My mom had asked what time I expected to finish so they would know when to go downtown to meet us. I told her when I signed up, my goal was to finish under 2 hours...but given my sub-par training effort, a more realistic estimate was probably 2.5 hours. Haha.
I think the 80's are making a comeback. It seemed everyone in the race was wearing some shade of NEON: yellow, pink, blue, orange, green, purple. Here we are heading towards the first big hill. It was a colorful group.
It was really a pretty flat course, with only three big hills. At the top of the last hill, there were two women standing on the corner cheering on the runners, clapping and jumping up and down (one had pom poms!) - as we approached them, I could hear them chanting: "This is the last hill! It's all down hill from here!" So funny! And really very encouraging.
Jonah got to hang out with Grandma and Grandpa all morning until it was time to head downtown to meet us at the finish. My mom said when they got to the finish line, the race clock was at just over two hours. They began looking for us. ...As the time went past 2.5 hours, she began to wonder if we had made it under two hours, and they just missed us. Ha! We rolled in about 2:35, by my watch. However, a poorly-timed bathroom break at (apparently) the most popular porta-potty on the course cost us about 15-20 minutes...so overall, I'd say we did okay.
We made it!!
And we had fun! So glad Mandy was along for the run.
Mandy had to head right back to Chicago, but Jonah and I spent the rest of the weekend with Grandma and Grandpa. Jonah thoroughly enjoyed exploring their house and spent his time scheming to get to Grandma's iPad, trying (in vain) to turn on the TV, playing the piano (and clapping for himself), and climbing the stairs. Other highlights included watching Grandpa mow the lawn, bubbles with Grandma on the deck, and Skyping with Dad on Grandma's iPad (we haven't seen Dad since last Tuesday!).
I was definitely feeling the aftereffects of the race on Saturday. Either it was my inadequate training...or I am just getting too old for this kind of thing. Grandma to the rescue! Grandma swooped Jonah up as soon as he woke Sunday morning and let me sleep it! It was wonderful. The whole weekend was a nice break from playing single parent. Brandon is doing a rotation out of town, so Jonah and I have been on our own. One week down, three weeks to go.
(I must be getting older if 7:00 feels like "sleeping in")
On Sunday morning, before we left for church, I asked Jonah if he wanted a banana. He eagerly signed, "more, please," sat down right where he was in the middle of the kitchen floor, and waited patiently. What a goofball.
It was a great weekend in Des Moines! We're headed back in two weeks for a wedding reception. It's nice to have these little trips to break up the time while Brandon's gone.
*Photo credits to Mandy and my mom...I forgot to take a single picture all weekend!
1 comment:
Go Becca, Go!! Nice job on the dam-to-dam! We were thinking of you! And it's a good thing other people took pictures, because this post would have been a lot less exciting without them! :)
Post a Comment