Saturday, January 10, 2015

Conversations with my two year old

J: I'm going to put these cups on my eyes


J: Do you like my 'googles'?
Me: I think you mean 'goggles'
J: I like to call them 'googles' .... Can you see me?
Me: Yes, Jonah. I can see you.
J: [still covering his eyes] But can you see me now?
Me: Yup, I can still see you.
J: But can you see me NOW?


Me: Oh! There you are! Whew.

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *

Cora passed her sickness along to me (thanks!), so we've done a whole lot of nothing this week. Jonah wasn't sick (thankfully), but he got to spend a bit of time watching videos on our tablet and the TV, which he was pretty pumped about. A rare treat that was WAY overindulged this week. Mom didn't have the energy for much else. We are currently detoxing from too many videos.

Earlier in the week....Survival mode
The reason we try to limit videos, is that Jonah quickly becomes consumed by them. The aftermath of which we are dealing with today. We have already have this conversation several times today:

J: Can I play with tablet?
Me: No, you cannot play with the tablet.
J: Why did you say, "No, you cannot play with the tablet"?
Me: Because I don't want you to play with the tablet right now.
J: But I do wish I could play with the tablet.
Me: Not right now. Why don't you _____ [and then I make 15 suggestions of things he could do other than sit and stare at videos].
J: ....But can I play with the tablet? Please.


He also thrown out the following one-liners:

- J: [while driving his toy car around the room] My mission is....How can I play with the tablet?

- J: I do love tablets, [sigh]

- J: But can I play with something....black?

We've got to put that passion and determination [and creativity!] to good use.

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *

Earlier this week, I was in the bathroom with Jonah. We have a really high toilet, so I have to help him get situated. Once he was seated, I said:

Me: Okay, Jonah, let 'er rip!
J: What does 'Let 'er rip' mean?
Me: It just means you can start peeing.
J: [as he begins peeing] ...Oh, I already ripped.

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *

Jonah walked up to me this morning with his eyebrows furrowed.

J: Mom, my 'eye-bro's' hurt.
Me: Why do your 'eye-bro's' hurt?
J: I don't know....they just do.

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *

I made chicken stir-fry for lunch, which prompted this conversation:

J: What are we having for lunch, Mom?
Me: Chicken stir-fry
J: Chicken stir-fry is not good. [His standard response to all foods these days...]
Me: Well, you can't decide something is not good before you even try it.
J: Well, fries are good, but chicken stir is NOT good!

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *

It has been a very long week. The first week of 2015 started off a little rocky....things can only get better from here! And just because she's adorable (and one!), here is Cora, sporting her first ponytail:

No comments: