Jonah has been a generally healthy baby. I suppose every parent must eventually face their first sick child, though. Our time has come. But first, let's go back a little.
Although it was January, it was almost 70 degrees and sunny on Saturday!! So Grandma and I loaded up the strollers and took the kids out for a walk through the neighborhood. A little taste of spring :)
Jonah was 10 months old on January 20. We were down in St. Louis that weekend visiting my brother, sister-in-law, and Jonah's cousin Peyton.
Jonah had a great time stealing toys from Peyton, trying to sneak a bite of Kinnick's food, and bouncing in Peyton's fabulous jumperoo. Peyton is such a calm baby compared to Jonah. It was fun to see them interact.
Jonah showing Peyton how he can stand up
Peyton showing her standing skills, too! (while Daddy snoozes on the couch)
Peyton is a pro at smiling for the camera...unlike my child, who won't sit still long enough to be photographed
Although it was January, it was almost 70 degrees and sunny on Saturday!! So Grandma and I loaded up the strollers and took the kids out for a walk through the neighborhood. A little taste of spring :)
It was a lovely weekend.
The next day, Jonah vomited for six hours. Jonah was a trooper, though, and slept though most of it. We would just pick him up, clean him off, change the sheets and lay him back down. There was lots of laundry involved. After that, he actually seemed fine for the next few days. But then the bug appeared to be working its way through his GI tract....and it involved a lot more laundry (and a lot of baths). At one point, I actually ran out of laundry detergent. Fortunately, Jonah didn't seem too bothered by it all, and he slept a ton.
After a week, we thought for sure it was done. So we ventured to McGregor to celebrate my Grandma Strutt's retirement after SIXTY years as choir director at the Methodist Church. There was a lot of special music at the church service, including a flash-mob-type surprise number by the Strutt clan. We also enjoyed a donuts and coffee reception at the church, followed by a lovely brunch. I forgot to bring my camera, so no pictures.
We got home after our weekend away, and Jonah's symptoms came roaring back. Then we heard that my cousin's kids were hit with the vomit-bug, too. Oops. Jonah's vomiting and diarrhea subsided (for good!) last Tuesday, but Wednesday he woke with a fever. The fever hung around for a few days, and Jonah finally started getting grouchy. Who can blame him? Our two week ordeal was capped off with a rotten night of NOT sleeping on Saturday. For some reason, Jonah was just miserable. But that seems to have been the last of it. He's been happy and healthy since. Sleeping well, eating like a champ again. I think I can safely say that we officially survived our first sickness. So thankful that our little guy is generally healthy, and that this really wasn't too serious. Just building his immune system, right? ;)
Well, January went out with a bang, but February has lots of fun things in store. Plus, after February comes March, then we're well on our way towards Spring...and then Summer! I'm not one to wish away my life, but I LOVE Summer.
No comments:
Post a Comment