Thursday, February 28, 2013

Day in the life

Brandon has officially started back up his rotations for med school, the final phase of his schooling.  This means the end is in sight!  ...It also means he is gone.  A lot.  Last week, his first week back, he spent almost 100 hours at the hospital.  This also means he doesn't get to see Jonah very much.  But he's always anxious to hear about Jonah's day and what we did.  By evening, I can never remember what we did in the morning unless I write it down.  It's not terribly exciting, but here's what we've been up to today...

5:30...Jonah is awake!  Why, Child, must you start the day so early??  But here we go.  Daddy is already gone for the day by the time we get up.

5:40 - I nurse Jonah

6:00 - Bath time!  Jonah likes bath time for approximately three minutes.  He splashes around a bit, chews on some toys, laughs when I dump water over his head.  Then he's pretty much over it and gets REALLY excited when it's time to get out.  I soap him up, rinse him off, and we're done.

6:04 - Time to get dressed.  This is becoming quite a process, not unlike wrestling an alligator.  This summer I was on the houseboat, and I helped my cousin's two-and-a-half year old change out of her bathing suit.  She basically dressed herself, but leaned on me while I pulled up her shorts.  At that time, Jonah was starting to get a little bit more wiggly when I dressed him, and I remember thinking to myself...Oh, it gets easier to dress them as they get older.  Later that same day, I saw my cousin attempting to dress her one-year-old, and I thought...Oh! It gets way harder before it gets easier, apparently.

6:25 - Jonah plays catch with himself (throwing a ball and chasing after it) while I fix his breakfast: yogurt mixed with rhubarb & blueberries and sweet potatoes.  

7:00 - Breakfast.  Jonah is feeling in the mood to eat table food/solids today and eats half a sweet potato; yogurt is always a hit.

7:20 - Playtime.  Jonah reads some books, we practice walking, and Jonah gives his baby doll lots of hugs and kisses.  Throughout all this he stops periodically to dance.  He also crawls around and checks out all his favorite spots: under my desk (to play with my finishers medals from a few races I've done and a travel pack of Wet Ones he keeps under there); over to the VCR to see if he can't get his fingers stuck in the tape deck; over to the slider to peek out at where Daddy parks his bike at night so he can point and say "Dada, Dada, Dada," and into the kitchen to play with the knob on the dishwasher.  We practice walking some more, and then it's time for a nap!

9:20-12:00 - Miraculously, Jonah sleeps for over two and half hours!  During this time I wash the dishes and clean up the kitchen, pick up my desk, take out the trash and clean out the garbage cans, do a couple loads of laundry, (and maybe watch a little Hulu...)

12:00 - Lunch time!  Jonah tries spaghetti for the first time...and LOVES it!
I think it might get messy, so I strip him down.  He doesn't much care to touch the spaghetti with his fingers, though, preferring to have it spoon fed to him.  So he doesn't get too messy.

After lunch, we sit and chat about our day (and share lots of kisses), dance a bit more, and read some more books.  And Jonah never stops moving for one second.

And that's our Thursday!  Hope you are having a good day at work, Daddy!!

No comments: