Here's a bit about what we were up to this weekend:
On Saturday, Brandon had a meeting in the morning, then we took off for the Bara Imambara – an enormous building built by Nawab Asafuddauia to provide relief to his subjects during the family in 1784.
It is known for its simplicity of style, proportion and symmetry and religious significance.
| Inside the courtyard |
| Inside the courtyard |
Unfortunately, I had a bad attitude, so we didn't go inside. Maybe we'll try to go back another day when I'm not feeling so crabby. We did learn something interesting – many of these historical sites charge two prices: one for Indians and one for foreigners. The charge for foreigners is easily 10x higher. What a rip-off! I've since read it is the same around the country, especially in high-tourist areas.
Brandon had to get some more work done on Saturday night (he is still taking three classes at the University which he has to keep up with while we're here…), so it was a pretty low-key night. We did have a break from Indian food! (See previous entry).
On Sunday, we made another trip to the Big Bazaar, but first, we made a brilliant discovery when we stopped in to Mr. Browns, a bakery…
| I'm beginning to see a pattern...we only see pictures of me when there's FOOD! |
I LOVE doughnuts! This doughnut was a serious disappointment…tasted like bread with some chocolate sauce on top. But I was glad to see it, anyway. There were lots of other fun treats at Mr. Browns, and it's not too far from home…definitely some place I can walk during the day when there's not much else going on. We caught another motor rickshaw, and now that we know, were able to catch a ride for rs. 50 each way! Victory! After we got home from the store, Brandon and I wandered around a bit, ducking into some shops, and just getting a look around. It is nice to spend some time together, taking in the new sites and exploring. I am definitely getting used to the staring. We have had a few more people stop and ask to take a picture with us – I'm not sure I'll get used to that. I am glad I'm not a celebrity, what an awful life! On the way home, Brandon spotted another "Sweets" shop, and, man after my heart, he asked if I wanted to go in. We chatted a bit with the guy behind the counter. He asked where we were from. Brandon picked out what we wanted, but when he tried to pay, the guy refused to let him! Granted, our purchase probably cost all of rs. 4 (pennies, really), but it was strange. Maybe being a celebrity of sorts has its perks, too.
A few more pictures from our week up over a Shutterfly. Have a great Sunday, Everyone!!
1 comment:
Hi Becca! I just spent the past hour or so reading all of your blog entries. What an adventure it must be to be living there and experiencing such a different culture!! Looking forward to reading more of your posts. Take care.
Jean Swanson
Post a Comment