Sunday, April 17, 2011

Lifting Lucknow-Style

So this is going to be my first post from India. Honestly, the idea of “blogging” really wasn’t that appealing to me but Becca is doing a great job of keeping our blog current and she asked me to contribute so here we go…

Upon coming to India many of my lifestyle habits have had to change significantly. I went from a diet consisting almost entirely of meat, vegetables (many family members reading this may find that hard to believe but it’s true), some fruit, nuts and seeds and basically no grains or legumes. (By the way I think this is the best way to eat and if you want to learn more about it go here: http://robbwolf.com/faq/) Well, here in India grains and legumes are required foods at every meal in the form of rice, roti and dal and meat a rarity. (See Becca’s food post here: http://allemans.blogspot.com/2011/04/cuisine.html) Also, timing of these meals is much different in India with breakfast occurring at 9 or 9:30, lunch around 2ish, and dinner again at 9 or 9:30. (At home I eat at 5am, 11am and 6:30pm). Another change has been sleeping. In Iowa we have blackout shades that keep our room completely dark until we wake up. Here there aren’t any curtains so it is a little light throughout the night and then the sun comes up at 6 before our scheduled rising time. Finally, my previous trips have been completely devoid of any ability to lift weights, so I would have to be content with running and pushups, which wasn’t too much of a problem for a week or so. I was determined for this not to be the case on this trip. To that end, I decided to join a gym… the “Body Hunk Gym” to be exact. The gym has some definite benefits. 1) It is close, about a 3 minute walk 2) There are weights. 3) It is only 300 rupees (about $6.50) to join for an entire month.
Beyond that red door lies the great "Body Hunk Gym"

Going to this gym has been a cultural experience all to itself. Sticking with our theme of contrasts in India, the walls are plastered with posters of huge body-builders (Arnold Schwarzenegger, Ronnie Coleman and John Cena for the muscle-heads in the audience) while the gym is filled with people that weigh less than Becca. Even if it were people’s goal to get big like the posters, they don’t seem to be going about it very effectively. The only lifts I see being done are bicep curls, arm extensions, bench press and an occasional lat pull down. I have yet to see anyone do a lower body lift. The largest plates that exist are 10kg (22 pounds) and there are only 3 sets. So people put 25 pounds on a bar and then do two-handed curls for 25 reps; not an effective program for developing mass or strength. People look at me like I am crazy when I show up. I do deadlifts, overhead squats and standing presses and people stare at me like I’m an alien. (Technically I guess I am an alien, but you know what I mean). Anyway, I have made a few friends there and am attempting to communicate with them. I may try expanding their repertoire of lifts in the future. It should be fun. Even with this gym’s limitations it has been really good for me; both as a place to exercise and relax and also for cultural instruction. (P.S. For those wanting to start a workout program of their own, check-out this site: http://www.crossfit.com/)

2 comments:

Jen said...

That was a very Brandon post. Nice work. :)

Tim Harmon said...

I don't know what I think about the Rob Wolf diet (1/2 cup of berries and shaved almonds for dessert???) or about the Crossfit workout (P90X alone has left me with elbow or shoulder tendinitis or something that will probably interfere with my golf game) but the Total Pillow, now there is something that could change my life. Wish I had one right now. Thanks for the updates. May the Lord bless and keep you and shine his face on you.