Some fun facts about things we encounter day-to-day that are a little out of the ordinary for us:
Water: Just like in Mexico, the common advice is: Don't drink the water. To combat this without buying truckloads of bottled water, many homes install a water purifier. (Of course, poorer people can't avoid drinking the water – but our American bodies are especially vulnerable because we've never been exposed to the microbs in the water.)* The water is filtered and then goes into this tank. As the tank fills, the water is also zapped by UV light to kill off any bacteria. Most people don't drink cold beverages here, so the water is left in the tank at room temperature. Before coming, I also read things about not even using tap water to brush your teeth. We have not gone that crazy-overboard.
*I don't claim to have any scientific knowledge about why that is or water safety or anything else…I'm just passing along what I've heard.
| A/C wall unit above our window |
Night Light: The mosquitos, and bugs in general, are really not that bad. We have noticed them the most at night: Enter the "Good Knight" light. There's some kind of chemical in this bottle, that must react with the light (or heat) generated when this thing is plugged in that is supposed to repel the little buggers. It seems to do its job. The first few days we were here, I noticed I was getting bit like crazy – but only on the back of my upper right arm. I realized I was always sleeping on my left side, with my arm tucked outside the blanket – my only exposed skin was my upper right arm. Fans also help keep the bugs off while we sleep.
| Our bathroom - the toilet is just to the right of where I'm standing |
| Water heater especially for our shower |
Hot Shower: The showers here are not generally enclosed structures, but merely a shower head on the wall and a drain in the corner. Generally, this gets water everywhere – it can't be avoided. Each bathroom also has its own "on-demand" water heater. You have to remember to turn it on a few minutes before if you want a hot shower. It seems like a pretty good system for conserving energy. We had a similar, mini version of this "on-demand" water heater in our loft apartment in Hungary.
Toilets: As I mentioned before, many people in India do not use toilet paper. As an alternative, many homes install a sprayer next to the toilets in their homes. (It looks like what many cloth-diapering moms have installed in their homes in the US.) We’re not quite sure of the specifics, or how to avoid making a big mess with the sprayer…your guess is as good as mine. :)
There you go – so of the ordinary, everyday details of life in India.
No comments:
Post a Comment