I tend to be an introverted person. I like to be alone. I can sit and do nothing (this drives Brandon crazy…he cannot comprehend it). I process things internally and hate making small-talk with people I've just met. Sometimes, I just like my space. Space is a commodity in a densely-packed country. We are staying in a very large house, but it feels less so when there are eight other people staying here as well. The constant-ness of being around so many people is difficult to get used to. I cannot imagine being an introvert growing up in this country. Maybe these traits are more nurture than nature, and so by circumstance, there are fewer introverts produced from environments where people live so closely together. Whatever the case, it's something I have to deal with for the time being. I am thankful we are returning to Iowa in the summer – it is much nicer and easier to "get away" and enjoy quiet time alone in Iowa in the summer. It's no "Pure Michigan," but you can't beat a Midwest summer.
Abhi is the other American staying here. He's a few years younger than us, and although he is Indian, he was born and raised outside of Washington D.C. Both of his parents grew up in India, however, and did not move to the US until after they were both doctors. Abhi's mom was visiting India last week for a conference, and she was able to come over to Lucknow for a few days to see him before she has to head back the States. I believe he was ready for her to leave about 10 minutes after she arrived. Abhi, having grown up in the US, does not speak Hindi. Abhi's mom, however, thinks he should. She only speaks to him in Hindi, and it's hilarious. He just stares at her. "I can't understand what you're saying, Mom!" So then she talks about him to other people, in Hindi. Maybe this form of motivation works for some people? I guess everyone has their own thing to deal with.
No comments:
Post a Comment