When we first moved in, priority one was getting curtains and blackout shades into the bedrooms. After that, unpacking and getting appliances took precedence. Eventually, we got around to putting up curtains in the large window in the living room to provide some privacy (especially at night!), and we got curtains in the kitchen because the sun at dinnertime was becoming a nuisance. Slowly, but surely things are coming together.
When I was back in Iowa, I brought a few sewing projects with me. This included fabric to make curtains for the three remaining "naked" windows - two in the playroom and one above the kitchen sink. My mom "helped" me with my sewing (by which I mean, she did all the work, and I mostly watched). They turned out great! I love the sunny yellow in my kitchen. And the *pop* of color really brightens up the toy room. But it's not too crazy, even above the FREE floral love seat we picked up off Craigslist.
New curtains were just the beginning for our kitchen. We really put Babu to work this weekend. When we moved in, the kitchen was pretty bare-bones - no appliances, and (for some unknown reason!) a single, short cabinet on the east wall above the cabinet (but notably NOT above the space for the stove). Brandon added another small cabinet and a microwave above the stove. Then this weekend, Brandon and Babu moved the original short cabinet over the fridge, and added a long wall cabinet! !!! Cabinet space!
We also got rid of the card table and folding chairs we've been using since we sold our dining table and chairs a month before we moved out of our condo. It wasn't such a big deal until the first time the table collapsed - dinner all over the floor :( Needless to say, I was eager to get a real table! Especially for when we have guests.
It was a big weekend for our kitchen!

1 comment:
It's fun to catch up with you guys this way :) Glad all is going well!
Post a Comment