Friday, August 22, 2014

Busy Thursday

We had a really busy, fun day yesterday. In the morning, we had a play date with a new friend, Joia, who is the wife of one of Brandon's faculty. They recently moved to Wichita from Florida. They have three kids, and the youngest is Jonah's age. We met them through our house church, and I have enjoyed getting to know Joia and her kids. Jonah had fun checking out all the new toys, and I enjoyed a little adult conversation :) It was good practice in sharing for both two-year-olds, haha. And I LOVE that they are just 8 minutes down the road. Although nothing in Wichita is more than twenty minutes away, really.

After Jonah's nap, we headed up the street for a swim. Another one of Brandon's faculty and his family live a few blocks away, and they have graciously offered to let us use their pool! (You know you're on the older side of the intern class when you hang out with the faculty and their wives - Ha!) We met up with, Kelly, the wife of one of Brandon's fellow residents. So nice to have an extra set of hands to help out with the kids! I was telling Brandon, the pool actually facilitated great conversation. Usually, trying to be around other adults and watch the kids is not very conducive to conversation. This makes it difficult to develop relationships and get to know people. But Jonah does a pretty good job entertaining himself in the water, and Cora happily floated around in a little inflatable raft - so Kelly and I actually got to have some meaningful conversation :)

After swimming, we got home in time for a quick bath (so fun [and efficient] that I can throw both kids in the tub together now!) and to get dinner cooking before Brandon got home. It is fun to have busy days like these every once in a while. But usually all that running around means Cora misses a nap (or two!). She is a total trooper, but she was dragging by day's end. She also has a bit of a cold (which I'm pretty sure she caught from Facebook - I was just reading posts from several friends whose kids have colds, in August!, and then Cora woke up all snuffly and runny-nosed). Hopefully the rest of us don't also catch it. These kind of run-around days also usually end with a pile of dirty dishes, laundry not put away, toys all over the floor... I am working on not letting that stuff stress me out. We enjoyed a change of scenery and time with new friends. Today we're enjoying a slower morning at home.

Brandon is in the middle of an 18-day stretch without a day off. There's light at the end of the tunnel, though. And he's enjoying what he's doing. We have a few fun things on the horizon. It's hard not to enjoy this time of year as summer stretches into fall. Brandon's only complaint is the lack of water around here....although he wouldn't have time to enjoy it anyway, so maybe it's for the best :)

No comments: