Jonah seems to have blossomed into a bookworm overnight!
Well, okay, he has always loved books: looking at them, listening to them, reading them. I thought that he was maybe getting to the point where he would be interested in trying chapter books, so I ordered a couple easy chapter books for his birthday back in March. I thought we could read them out loud together, but he was not very interested. Fortunately, we have a reading specialist and an early childhood educator in the family (aka Aunt Jenny and Bibi), so I reached out for some suggestions. After some searching, I ordered a couple different things from Amazon to see if anything would pique his interest. The day the package arrived, he sat down on the couch and read for two hours straight. He finished all the books I had ordered! Now, most days, he spends an hour or more reading by choice, plus an additional 1-2 hours during "quiet time" while Cora naps. His comprehension seems to be improving, too. Although, this has drastically reduced the chances of him falling asleep during "quiet time" - he is too engrossed in his books!
Well, okay, he has always loved books: looking at them, listening to them, reading them. I thought that he was maybe getting to the point where he would be interested in trying chapter books, so I ordered a couple easy chapter books for his birthday back in March. I thought we could read them out loud together, but he was not very interested. Fortunately, we have a reading specialist and an early childhood educator in the family (aka Aunt Jenny and Bibi), so I reached out for some suggestions. After some searching, I ordered a couple different things from Amazon to see if anything would pique his interest. The day the package arrived, he sat down on the couch and read for two hours straight. He finished all the books I had ordered! Now, most days, he spends an hour or more reading by choice, plus an additional 1-2 hours during "quiet time" while Cora naps. His comprehension seems to be improving, too. Although, this has drastically reduced the chances of him falling asleep during "quiet time" - he is too engrossed in his books!

No comments:
Post a Comment