Thursday, April 28, 2016

Fitbit and Labor

I came across a blog post recently where the author had worn her Fitbit during labor, and then analyzed the data it recorded. I got a Fitbit around Christmas time, and I happened to be wearing my Fitbit while I was in labor with Esther....so I went back to look at my own labor data. Other than the fact that Fitbit recorded six hours of sleep while I was in labor (I was not, in fact, sleeping while I was in labor), the most interesting data, I thought, was my heart rate:


This is from my due date (the day before Esther was born) - my labor began around 9 AM and continued until the following morning. I find it interesting because you can clearly see where I took a nap in the afternoon, just before 3pm. Then, after we got Jonah and Cora to bed that night, we sat and watched an episode of Downton Abbey around 8pm. Again, my heart rate dipped for a time. Then there was a bit more activity as my contractions intensified and we headed into the hospital. Then there was a big dip around 10:30pm. That would be where I passed out just after we had settled into our room at the hospital. Ha! Not exactly sure what happened, but I got super light-headed and just....passed out. Luckily, I was lying down in a bed when it happened.

Kind of fun to be able to look at all the data captured with my Fitbit - especially the sleep tracker in the early days with a newborn ;)

No comments: