Saturday, April 23, 2016

Update!

Some random goings on with the kids lately...

Jonah
Jonah had his first "professional" haircut recently. Up until this point, I have just trimmed his hair myself. But it is getting thick enough that I was having trouble making it look even. And I am pretty sure the last time I trimmed it was before Esther was born...so he was due. I figured, if I watched a professional cut it once, maybe I could pick up some tips. But I was not impressed :/ She basically just buzzed the whole thing, which is what Brandon said I should have done in the first place.  Live and learn.

Before and After


He looks so much older!!


Cora
Cora is rocking potty training! After our first failed attempt to potty train, I wasn't sure how we would ever tackle this milestone, with her all her skin issues. Every time we took off her diaper, she would suddenly have the urge to use the potty. I was sure she would easily potty train if we could let her hang out naked....but she can't not scratch her skin when it's not covered. But one morning, while I was feeding Esther, she came out of her room and told me she had to go potty. She took of her pj's and her diaper and did her thing. Then, since I was still feeding Esther, she ran around sans clothes for a while. I noticed she wasn't really scratching her bare skin, so I decided to go with it. She never looked back! The first two days, she had no accidents! She had one accident on Day 3, then another on Day 6 - but for the most part, her enthusiasm has not waned and she's been able to stay dry. She actually won't even go in a diaper at night....which means she wakes us at night to go to the bathroom. I guess that's a good thing, that she's so aware of her body, but we're anxious for her bladder to grow ;)

Potty training in the buff!                         Little girl on a big potty :)    


Another funny story about Cora. I was reading a book of nursery rhymes with Cora, and we got to a page with this picture:


Cora pointed to the picture and said, "He should not scratch!" Cora often gets scolded for removing her socks to scratch her itchy ankles. Haha. Now every time we read this book and get to this page, she tells me to get my phone and take a picture. Ha!

Another rhyme in this book is the familiar, "What are a little girls made of, What are little boys made of." There's a little illustration that goes along with it. And, yes, those are frogs and snails.....and little severed puppy dog tails. What??


Esther
We sort of inadvertently started sleep training with Esther while we were out of town. She had such a hard time going down for bed one night, out of sheer frustration, we let her fuss a bit. After about 25 minutes, she quieted down and went to sleep. We had intended to start some sleep training in about a month but decided to go with once we got home, and she's handled it pretty well. It has made bedtime and nap time much less stressful, though she has not quite reached the "goes down happy" phase. There's still a bit of fussing before she gives up. But we get to skip the "go back in and reinsert pacifier 15 times" part of the routine. Put her down, and she puts herself to sleep.

She is officially our first finger-sucker. She made a concerted effort for several weeks to get her thumb into her mouth, but never could figure out how to separate her thumb from her fist. So she seems to have settled on her first two fingers of her left hand. Down the road, it will probably be harder to break than a paci habit....but it's pretty adorable :)


No comments: