Saturday, November 2, 2013

The Cake

One of my favorite parts of my birthday each year is the cake tradition - every year, Brandon makes me a cake from scratch!  Even though he would prefer we never eat flour or butter or things loaded with sugar...for my birthday, he makes this wonderful exception :)

This year's cake was over-the-top-awesome!

What kind of cake did he make this year? Neapolitan! A layer of chocolate, a layer of strawberry, and a layer of vanilla (all from scratch!) - covered in homemade strawberry frosting :)  It was as delicious as it looks. And way more cake than two people should eat.  If you're in the neighborhood, stop by for a slice! We have plenty to share.

Best moment of turning thirty:  I went out to dinner with some friends to celebrate my birthday. Brandon stayed home and took care of the nighttime routine: dinner for Jonah, hanging out with Jonah, and bedtime. I had a great time with some girlfriends and enjoyed a wonderful dinner (and didn't have to pick food up off the floor or clear the dishes after).  BUT the best part of the evening was when I got home.  Brandon was collapsed on the floor -- "I'm exhausted!" was the first thing he said to me when I walked in the door. "He basically never stops moving. I turned away for, like, two seconds, and he was ON TOP of the table! I spent two hours with him.  Is it like this all day??"  It's nice to be understood/appreciated :)  And then, of course, we got to sit and enjoy cake and conversation at the end of a long week.  That part was nice, too.

Behind the scenes: Jonah helped out a little with the cake preparations.


Happy Birthday, Mom!

4 comments:

Cheri said...

Glad to hear you had a great birthday!! Is it just me... or does Jonah look like he's at least 4-years-old in that last picture?!

Terri said...

I agree with Cheri, must be the sweatband!

Terri said...

Unknown is Aunt Terri! oops!

Becca said...

I was thinking the same thing! Although maybe not quite four...