Jonah has really been a rock star nighttime sleeper - for which we are so, so thankful! Seriously, anyone who knows me knows I love me some sleep. Naps, on the other hand, are somewhat baffling to me. Jonah tends to wake up after about 30-40 minutes of sleeping most days. For a long time, he was only ever able to stay awake for about an hour at a time, so the day seemed like an endless cycle of wake-sleep-wake-sleep...
As he as been able to stay up for a little longer, we had gotten to a point where he was taking 4 or 5 little "naplets" during the day. Many moms have told me that there is a magical period between three and four months where many babies begin to settle into a routine - and for many this includes longer napping. I'm still waiting for the magic to happen :)
On Wednesday, Jonah had several of his longest ever periods of awake-ness and only took two naps for a total of 60 minutes. Then Thursday, he took just three naps, totaling about 80 minutes of sleep. I wondered if this would be our new routine. I sort of hoped not...because he was getting pretty crabby by the end of the day (and 5:00 seemed too early to put him to bed).
Then this morning, he took a nice hour-long nap and woke up happy as can be. After a thorough discussion of the day's news (did you know Team USA will be rocking uniforms "made in China" while in London this summer? Congressional members are not happy about it) and some serious back-to-tummy rolling, he went down for another nap...
...And is still napping three hours later. I guess he's catching up? I am fully confident these things will work themselves out. But for now, my house has never looked better!
I remind myself each day that these stages go so fast. Just relax because the tough days won't last forever....but don't relax too much the good ones go by quickly, as well.
As he as been able to stay up for a little longer, we had gotten to a point where he was taking 4 or 5 little "naplets" during the day. Many moms have told me that there is a magical period between three and four months where many babies begin to settle into a routine - and for many this includes longer napping. I'm still waiting for the magic to happen :)
On Wednesday, Jonah had several of his longest ever periods of awake-ness and only took two naps for a total of 60 minutes. Then Thursday, he took just three naps, totaling about 80 minutes of sleep. I wondered if this would be our new routine. I sort of hoped not...because he was getting pretty crabby by the end of the day (and 5:00 seemed too early to put him to bed).
Then this morning, he took a nice hour-long nap and woke up happy as can be. After a thorough discussion of the day's news (did you know Team USA will be rocking uniforms "made in China" while in London this summer? Congressional members are not happy about it) and some serious back-to-tummy rolling, he went down for another nap...
...And is still napping three hours later. I guess he's catching up? I am fully confident these things will work themselves out. But for now, my house has never looked better!
I remind myself each day that these stages go so fast. Just relax because the tough days won't last forever....but don't relax too much the good ones go by quickly, as well.

No comments:
Post a Comment