Wednesday, September 26, 2018

Oh Esther

The very end of summer brought our first taste of cool(er) weather here in Kansas. I warned the kids that it wouldn't be as warm - and the big kids went all out: long sleeves, pants, socks - and all black, for some reason. I told Esther to pick out some clothes to wear....and she brought me a pair of pink socks. "Mommy, I want to wear these!" Oh Esther :)


Good thing Esther is cute...because she sure is feisty. She has been on a roll lately.  But first, a little sweetness: Esther filled her mason jar! She's been struggling to go to bed without a big fight...but a few nights ago, she climbed right up - earning herself the final pom that pushed her over the top!


When she got up the next morning, we did the exchange. She chose an ice cream treat with Mom (lucky me!). She would not, however, pose for a picture - so this was the best I got.


The night that ensued between these two smiling photos.....was a doozy!! Around 3 am, I woke up to the sound of Esther's "Mommy...Mommy?......Moooooooooommy!" -- only it was coming through Levi's monitor. Strange. I got up and discovered her coming out of Levi's room (I think she had gone in there in search of me). She threw a huge fit when we tried to put her back to bed, and Brandon battled with her for the next few hours trying to get her to go back to sleep without waking the other two kids. She had also woken Levi, so I worked to get him back to sleep. We eventually got her to sleep again in our bed. Sheesh!

The next morning, I discovered that Esther had been quite busy before waking us up! I had left my computer on in the living room because it was working on something when I went to bed. I think the light from the computer may have been what drew Esther out into the living room when she woke in the middle of the night. I discovered that she had rearranged my desktop, changed my taskbar settings, and added captions to pictures - in addition to random typing all over the place. Later that morning, I turned on our wireless printer to print something, and it started spitting out full-size prints of pictures from my computer. Thankfully I noticed and cancelled the print job - who knows how many pictures she had sent to the printer!!


After she bored of playing with my computer, she turned to the bookshelf where she pulled out book after book, until she had created a nice, big pile. I suppose that's when she went in search of me (in Levi's room) and woke us up - putting an end to her fun.

That was Monday night. Last night, while they were supposed to be getting ready for bed, Jonah and Esther somehow tossed their pj's behind Esther's headboard, and I was called in to retrieve them. When I stuck my arm down behind the headboard, I grabbed........a fistful of Kleenex. Then another, and another... There was probably an entire box-worth (or more??) of Kleenex stuffed behind the headboard!! I guess now we know what Esther's doing when she's in her room not napping at nap time.


Life with this two year old is never dull! Two only lasts for a little while (that's what I keep telling myself!). Esther is working hard to make sure we remember her at this age :)  I want to soak up every ounce of this sweet and sassy stage.

And now, just for fun, a (somewhat blurry) picture of our smiley little guy:


And the biggest two, goofing around together in the backyard:


And a picture of Cora "not sleeping" at nap time, because she's "not tired"


(Reminds me of this other picture of Cora napping...from way back when...):


No comments: