Friday, September 7, 2018

Mason Jars

A few months ago, we instituted a new incentive system in our house - each child has a quart sized mason jar, which they are working to fill with little poms. They can earn poms for a variety of things: obeying right away, doing something helpful, sharing with or speaking kindly to their siblings. They also lose poms for poor behavior or bad attitudes. It is, admittedly, very subjective (and it lends itself to straight-up bribery: "Set the table, and you can put a pom in your jar!") -- but the most surprising thing, is that even though we didn't quite know what would happen when someone filled their jar, it didn't seem to matter! Our kids are incredibly motivated by the opportunity to earn poms!!

Well, the jars were getting close to full, so we had to figure out what exactly that would mean. I decided to create a set of cards representing various rewards, and each child can choose to "trade in" their full jar for a reward of their choosing. Cora was the first one to fill her jar, and she traded in her poms for an ice cream treat.



I decided to make the cards (which Cora and Esther helped me decorate), because I knew we wouldn't necessarily be able to fulfill the reward immediately. This way the kids can have a visual of what they have "earned" even when their jar is suddenly empty again. And, not surprisingly, Cora has diligently reminded me about five times a day that she has some ice cream coming. Yes, Cora, I know :)

Jonah was getting close to filling his jar today, and he earned five poms for bringing the trash and recycling containers back up by the house after they had been emptied by the trucks. (This was a super-big deal for our hyper-sensitive-to-smells kid!!) This put him over the top, and he chose a donut treat. I assured Brandon that some of the rewards are non-food prizes, haha.


In other news, Levi is this close to sitting on his own. Well, I mean he can sit on his own! He just doesn't catch himself when he starts to tip to the side or backwards - he topples right over. But he's getting stronger every day. Such a big boy!!


No comments: