Monday, August 28, 2017

Life After Residency

These days, people often ask me if life has changed, now that Brandon is done with residency. In some ways, it's not so different - Brandon still works during the day, and I'm home with the kids. But some things are much improved -- Brandon rarely has to work at home in the evenings, he is often around in the mornings (which is especially helpful, as we now have to have everyone fed, changed and out the door before 8:00), and we have most weekends free! Plus, Brandon is in a great mood when he comes home from work -- he LOVES his job!!

There are a million other subtle ways that "Life After Residency" is different, some are hard to even put into words. A humorous incident this week sort of summed up for me Residency vs. LAR:

After cleaning out his desk, Brandon gave me a check he had come across and asked me to take it to the bank and deposit it. It was a check for 26 cent from AT&T, some sort of settlement payment. It would not have even been worth the trip to the bank, but I actually had another check to deposit, so the next day I stopped by the drive-through teller (slightly embarrassed to be depositing a check for $0.26). After I sent my checks through the tube to the teller, the teller returned to the window. "Um, ma'am....I'm sorry, I'm not able to deposit the check for, uh, 26 cents....because it is dated November 20, 2015." Well, okay then.

Basically, to sum up:

Residency = only the essentials get your attention, everything else (including checks for $0.26) falls through the cracks. Survival is the goal.
Life After Residency = time to finally clean out your desk drawers!

No comments: