Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Car pants and other quirks

Cora is 21 months old today! There are so many fun things I love about this age. Her vocabulary is really expanding, and she is developing her own quirky way of expressing herself. These are some of my favorites these days.


Jo-Jo: This one is already in the past, but this is what she used to call Jonah.  One time we were at a park, and I was yelling at Jonah from across the playground, trying to get his attention. Cora walked up next to me, put her little hands on her hips, and started yelling, "Jo-Jo! Jo-Jo!!" She is my little mini-me sometimes.

T'ank you, Mama: She has a sweet way of saying "thank you, Mama" - and it is usually about an octave higher than her normal voice. She has also started saying,"T'ank you, welcome," answering her own "thank you" before I can say, "You're welcome!"

Car pants: We started running into issues with Cora's eczema/scratching habit because every time we drove somewhere, she would immediately yank off her socks and shoes and start scratching her legs and feet. So I got a pair of leggings several sizes too large and sewed the ends of the legs shut. Before we drive somewhere, I just slip them over her pants (and shoes), and voila - she can't scratch her legs. We started calling them her "car pants," and.....she hates them! "No car pants, no car pants!!"

Do it self: Miss Independent definitely informs us when she wants to "do it self!"

Help me, wiff me, come 'ere: Other times, however, she will let me know that she wants my help, or she wants me to do it "wiff" her. Or she will simply beckon me with her tiny fingers, "come 'ere, Mommy"

Please, now: Cora seems to have mixed up the words 'please' and 'now' - as in, in most instances where 'please' would be appropriate, she says 'now' instead. "More water, now." "Carry me, now." "Have it, now." It's cute right now, but the charm of this one might wear off pretty quickly :)

Mines: Along the lines of poor manners, Cora is in a "mine!" phase. But she always adds an 's'. "It's mines!" We're working on sharing over here.

Know: As in, "Cora, where's your baby?" ..."[I don't] know." But it's always just "know".

D'all done, g'all gone: She lets us know when she's finished (which usually coincides with whenever Jonah finishes...which is unfortunate, because Jonah eats much faster than she does! But when he's finished, she loses interest). But it's always "d'all done" or "g'all gone" - I guess she likes alliteration.



Cora LOVES her baby, and always includes her in her daily activities. She feeds her baby, rocks her baby, and reads her books :) What a good little mama.


Cora continues to be a super picky eater. Meals are probably my most challenge time of day with her. This particular day, she didn't eat a single bite at lunch. That afternoon, I was getting things ready to have some friends over for dinner, so I had the table set particularly early. By 4:00, she was ready to eat! She climbed up into her chair and sat, waiting patiently for her food. It's a long time until dinner when you skip lunch!


One of Cora's favorite activities these days is to "make a wist!" She loves to grab a pad of paper and a pen from my desk, and sit down to make her list. I wonder where she got that from??


No comments: