Sunday, December 8, 2013

It's a.....

....Surprise!!

We have known for a while that this baby is a girl (well, technically, Brandon says we will know it's a girl when the baby comes out ;)  Back when I had my ultrasound, Brandon was not able to come along because it was the first day of a new clinical rotation.  Brandon did not like the idea of me finding out without him, so I looked away when the tech checked the gender.  But I had her write down the gender and seal it in an envelope. Brandon was on a really busy rotation at the time, so we had to wait a few days before we could get away together. When we got a free night, we had a friend come stay with Jonah while Brandon and I went out to dinner and opened the envelope together. It was a fun little "reveal" moment.  We had a nice dinner out, and we're both super excited to be having a little girl :)

So...what's the "surprise!"?  A friend of mine who is also pregnant had her ultrasound last week. This is a surprise 4th pregnancy, and when she heard about what we did, she decided she wanted to have a fun "reveal" instead of just learning the gender at the ultrasound.  She had the tech write down the gender, like I had done, then she passed the envelope along to me without peeking.  (She literally drove straight from the clinic to our apartment because she didn't trust herself to have it sitting around and not look - ha!).  She then had me bake a cake and fill it with pink or blue frosting, based on what was in the envelope.  (So funny that I knew the gender of her baby before she did!)  Her parents were in town visiting, and so they made plans to Skype in her in-laws (who were traveling in Romania!) while they cut into the cake during lunch on Saturday. Everyone got to find out together - so fun!

I had fun making and decorating the cake, but I was sort of bummed I didn't get to eat any of the cake. Ha! I obviously didn't cut into the cake to get a picture, but thankfully I remembered to snap a picture before I frosted the secret inside.  So...what is she having???

It's a.... 

GIRL!!!

This evens things up for their family - two boys and two girls.  I enjoyed being a small part of their little celebration, and can't wait to meet this little girl next April :)

No comments: