Monday, July 30, 2018

First Day of School

We officially kicked off the new school year today! We are adventuring into the world of homeschooling this year, so we get to decide when the year begins. We're also easing our way into things (since I'm making this up as a I go along!!), thus the early start.


We've got Jonah in First Grade:

Cora's in Pre-K:

And Esther will be doing "Preschool-lite" ;)

Levi is just along for the ride:

We are starting with phonics and math programs for Jonah and Cora. I figure we can add more things in after we get into a routine. We have also joined a co-op that will meet one day a week, starting in August. That will add in Bible, music, art, science, history, literature/poetry, and PE, plus Latin and penmanship for Jonah.

I spent most of the day wondering, "Am I doing this right? How much school is enough?" I am sure those questions will never go away. It's a long game, and hard to see any results for a while...like most of parenting :)

There are many factors that went into our choice to homeschool this year. Obviously, there are many challenges ahead, but, hopefully, also many joys and lots of fun. One of the many benefits of this choice was that it gave me an excuse to buy a laminator! We put that thing to work today. The kids were super helpful, and we had quite the assembly line going :)


It was a breezy, cool 70 degrees after dinner - unheard of for July in Kansas - so we headed outside for some watermelon. Jonah asked if they could dig in with spoons - so they did! Great end to our first day of school. Enjoy the rest of your summer :)


No comments: