Monday, May 23, 2016

Snapshot of Cora

Brandon: Cora, what's my name?
Cora: Daddy!
Brandon: Yeah, that's what you call me, but what's my name?
Cora: Brandon.
Brandon: What is Mommy's name?
Cora: Becca!
Brandon: ....And what about him? [pointing at Jonah] What's his name?
Cora: umm ....Buddy :)

I am loving Cora at not-quite-two-and-a-half-years-old! I wanted to capture some of the quirky, fun things that make up Cora at this age.


Helper. I have mentioned before how helpful Cora is. She picks up on routines quickly, and jumps in to help where ever she can. For instance, whenever I take out the kitchen trash, she will grab a new trash bag, shake it open and start putting it in before can I get back in the house. When I unload the dishwasher, she likes to help - and she actually knows where lots of things go and can put them away by herself. Each morning, when I get Esther up, she carries my boppy and burp cloth from the nursery to the living room. She turns noise machines on at night and off in the morning. And she's quick to remind me if I do something "out of order" or differently than normal :)

Speech. Cora is fairly articulate, I think, but there are certain letter sounds she can't quite do yet. She has recently mastered the "L" sound - and she now sometimes adds "L's" to words that don't have them. Silly girl! The other day, she asked Brandon if she could please have a "blite" of his food.

Eczema sleeves. With Cora's skin, we have taken many approaches to try and prevent Cora from scratching herself until she's bleeding, especially overnight. One thing that worked really well was zippered footie pajamas....until she started potty training, and waking at night. Helping her use the potty in footie pajamas was a pain. I got some 2-piece pj's, which left her much more exposed to scratching, but we made her wear mittens to bed. But.....she usually just ended up pulling them off anyway. Grandma to the rescue! My mom used her sewing skills to turn a shirt into "eczema sleeves" for her to wear under her pj shirt - literally just sleeves, connected across her back, and sewn shut at the ends. She can't take it off, and she can't scratch {well} with it on. She can even sleep in shorts, finally! Poor Cora....I can't wait for her to outgrow this :(


And, now that she no longer needs the mittens at night, she has taken to wearing them on her feet.


Hair. This girl has some crazy hair. She has two cowlicks in the back, and one right in the middle of her forehead - so her hair goes every which way. And it's also still baby-fine. It's always falling in her face. Clips slide out and ponytails never last more than 10 minutes. Brandon keeps threatening to cut it off...but I'm not sure how that would help!

Sleep. Ever since Cora potty-trained, she has been waking up at night. At first, it was to use the potty. But more often than not, now she wakes for other reasons, or no reason at all. At least once a week, she'll wake up hysterical, shrieking, "Where's my pillow?? I can't find my pillow!" Sometimes, it has fallen on the floor....sometimes she is has moved to the end of the bed without realizing it. We finally got a night light for our bathroom, and now, at least, if she wakes to use the potty, she doesn't have to wake us up, too.


We went to a strawberry patch last week. Cora was a pretty good picker, but she still returned with an empty bucket. She would diligently pick 6 or 8 strawberries, then eat them all, then pick 6 or 8 more, then eat them all.....

Love our goofy Sis :)

No comments: