Friday, October 10, 2014

Denver!

So.... a long, long time ago {last month} we went on a trip to Colorado with the residency. After our wonderful, relaxing, family-filled weekend, the kids and I got to spend ten days in Denver with Katie and the boys before we had to head back Wichita.

It was awesome! I love seeing people "live life" - so it was fun to see their daily routine of school, naps, ball practices and games, and just hanging out. Katie definitely stays busy with three boys! They have a pretty good set-up for guests, and we got the entire basement to ourselves. The weather was a great, the food was awesome, and I loved spending so much time with my sister! We have not lived this close to one another in over a decade -- our states touch, we're that close. I hope we'll make another visit sometime soon!  Here's a peek at what we did in Denver:

These two were alternately best buds and driving each other crazy. And also, strangely, often unintentionally coordinating :)


Daniel still enjoyed holding Cora at every opportunity. At least, when he was not busy drawing. This kid can draw! He drew Cora an impressive picture of the Saturn V rocket, complete with crazy-accurate looking planets, sun and stars. He also does all manner of car, truck and other various vehicles.


Patrick loves to accessorize and could often be found wearing boots or gloves. Even though it was 70's, sunny and beautiful out.


 There may have been some indulgences while we were away from home..... (Shhhh, don't tell Dad!) Here, Jonah conquered his first ice cream cone. He was a fan.


The Weldons keep busy even on the weekends - Daniel and Josh both play flag football, and Josh also plays baseball. Patrick doesn't seem to mind tagging along to all these outings, because most of the fields have a playground nearby. During our many park visits, I noticed that Patrick is much more physically agile and daring/confident than Jonah. Jonah is usually pretty cautious at the playground, where as Patrick is a climber. But seeing someone his own size try new things must have given Jonah a little push, because by the end of our visit, he was attempting things on the playground he wouldn't have done before.


Jonah discovered that his giving Patrick hugs annoyed him - so I think he started doing it on purpose. Little stinker.


At Josh's baseball game, Katie gave Patrick an iPod to watch a video. I even offered to let Jonah play games on my phone (usually a HUGE draw), but he was more content to sit (hover) and watch over Patrick's shoulder. Haha. He had to work hard to keep his hands in his lap and not grab the iPod from Patrick. They also spent a lot of time running around in a field, hitting things with sticks and even watching some of the game :)



Story time with Aunt Katie!

Cora spent most of her week exploring and getting into everything she could reach.



I think Aunt Katie enjoyed have a couple extra girl around for a few days.



On the last night we were there, Josh and Daniel each had practice at the same time....at two different locations. Katie and I decided to divide and conquer. Somehow, that meant I took the three littlest ones (and Daniel) to Daniel's football practice, while Katie took Josh to his practice. 


I made sure Daniel got to his practice, then I took the three littles to the nearby playground. All seemed fine until Patrick started walking in one direction and Jonah in another. Ah! I managed to corral them up, and we made it through until the end of practice.  Whew.

All the boys - a little morning coloring session. Jonah enjoyed having so many buddies around.


Thanks for a great week, Weldons!

No comments: