Monday, June 23, 2014

The Kids

Here's a little bit about what the kids are up to these days....

Cora

In motion. This girl is constantly moving. Her little legs are almost always kick-kicking. Either that or she is slamming her feet into the floor - thump, thump, thump. She has mastered the roll and will roll all the way across the room if something catches her interest. She is also getting pretty good at sitting unsupported. She will still occasionally throw herself backwards or topple sideways, but is starting to self-correct and catch herself more often.

Favorites.  Favorite toys include a plastic cup, any old book, and anything with a tag. She also really likes these little plastic balls that are just the right size for her to palm. Supposedly they are safe for young children, but sometimes it seems like she's going to unhinge her jaw and jam the whole thing in her mouth.  Her favorite person is still Daddy. Now that he's been gone more during the day again, she has started greeting him with wild squeals (and more leg kicking) whenever she sees him. He also gets the best giggles and conversations.


Cora's hair is finally starting to lighten up a bit - but I wouldn't call it blonde. Her eyes (which are definitely brown now!) might be even darker than Jonah's - and I thought his eyes were dark!

Jonah

Word quirks. One of Jonah's favorite things to say right now is, "Probby" (probably). He doesn't quite seem to grasp what it means, but I'm pretty sure he attaches it to anything he wants to have happen - as in, "Probby have a snack."  "Probby Mommy draw wiff you."  "Probby Daddy carry you."   *He still refers to himself in the second person :) And one time, he was outside by himself in the backyard. When he wanted to come in, he came to the door and very patiently repeated over and over, "Probby come inside. Probby come inside."

The other thing Jonah says all the time is "How 'bout." He is becoming quite the little negotiator. The other day at lunch, Jonah and Brandon had the following conversation (and yes, Jonah eats pads of butter as a treat...gross!):

B: Jonah, would you like some blueberries or some butter?
J: How 'bout blueberries and budder?
B: How about you choose one.
J:  Umm...budder.
B: Okay. I'm going to cut it up into pieces.
J: How 'bout a big one? (Jonah is in a phase where he prefers BIG pieces of whatever he is eating)
B: No, I'm going to cut it up.
J (after he polished off his 'budder'): Now how 'bout some blueberries??

Favorites. Jonah loves to draw with markers. He asks to get them out several times a day. At first I had visions of marker all over the walls/carpet/furniture, but he does a great job keeping it on the paper and putting the caps back on right away.  Sometimes he sits engrossed for an hour, sometimes it quickly dissolves into, "Mommy draw a 'Dinky Pink' circle. Mommy draw a 'Little Yellow' penguin. Mommy draw a 'Raspberry Squirt' peregrine falcon." Two things: 1) he insists we call the colors by their Crayola-given names, and 2) my animal-drawing abilities are seriously lacking, but he doesn't seem to mind (or notice).

Jonah also still LOVES the water. Several of the faculty physicians have hosted pool parties for the residents, and Jonah has had a ball. We tried out his Puddle Jumpers this weekend, and he picked it up much more quickly than I thought he would. Soon enough Brandon was tossing him around in the water, and he'd bob to the surface and start swimming along. Our little fish. There are several YMCA's in town, and a couple of locations have outdoor water parks we'll have to check out. I am feeling more confident about taking both kids on my own, now that Jonah can hold his own in the water.

Mommy's favorite. I'm sure I'll post about  the new house one of these days...but for now, I'll just share one of my favorite things about our new space: the play room!

We have a dedicated play/toy area - and I LOVE it!. Our house is a ranch-style with no basement. The layout is longer than it is deep, but there's a single room coming off the back of the house (kind of like an upside-down 'T') that we've designated as the place for all toys and books and child-related things. There's even a single step down into the room, which physically separates the space and mostly keeps things contained. I used to envy my friends who had basement playrooms to contain all the toys and kid-clutter, but I think this is an even better set-up. I'm not sure Jonah would stay by himself and play in the basement (if we had one!) - but our play room is right off the kitchen, and he will (usually) happily play in there while I fix dinner or wash dishes or whatever. So great! And it always looks this fabulously clean ;)

One more week of orientation for Brandon, then residency starts for real! Here we go!!

No comments: