Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Just Jonah

Just some fun things about Jonah at this age, because the days pass too quickly (and I don't want to forget)...

Toddler Sessions. I mentioned that we have been participating in the orientation for med students beginning their pediatrics rotation. Basically, we go into the med school and some of the staff physicians give a demonstration of how to do a well-child exam on a toddler, then the med students get to practice parts of the exam. The first time we did this, there was a snow storm and we were the only family to show up. Jonah stole the show, hamming it up as 14 medical students looked on. This time, all the other families showed up, so we were in an mock exam room with just four med students. And for some reason, Jonah was terrified of one of them. I think this is possibly the first time I have ever seen Jonah show any signs of "stranger danger" - but every time it was this poor guy's turn, Jonah, who was sitting on my lap, would squirm around and whimper and dive into my arms while saying, "Need hug. Need hug." It was really weird! He let all the other students do their thing without any problems.

Socks. Jonah is really into socks right now. Rather, he is really into pulling off his socks. The first thing he does when I put him down for a nap every afternoon is pull of his socks and fling them onto the floor. It is also the only piece of clothing he has an opinion about. He couldn't care less what he's wearing, but he loves to pick out his socks. If he is in his room and quiet for too long, it usually means he has pulled every pair of socks out of the drawer...and then separated all the pairs and spread them around the room. Tell me again why we bother to buy toys?

Letters. The other day at breakfast, Jonah was trying to name what letter different words start with by saying the sound the word starts with, and it went like this:
buh-buh, ball ...."B!"
mm-mmm, Mommy ...."M!"
fff-ff, fork  ....."F!"
puh-puh, 'poon (spoon) ...."P!" 
ya-ya, yight (light)  ....."Y!" 

We clearly have some work to do. He also thinks the mid-day meal ("yunch") starts with "y" :)




Language. Jonah is really starting to use language to communicate. Instead of merely mimicking words and phrases, he is really trying to put together things he already knows to express novel ideas. It is so fun to watch this process. A few weeks ago, he was standing at the CD player, as he often does, listening to some music. I was sitting across the room, feeding Cora. It was a particular peppy tune, and Jonah looked at me and said, "Mommy, pinch my finger."  Sometimes it takes a little detective work to deceiver what he's trying to say....  (And he also confuses personal pronouns -- me, you, I, mine, yours, etc.). I asked if he pinched his finger on something....no. And then he showed me what he meant, rubbing his pointer finger and thumb while he kind of swayed back and forth.  And I realized he was asking me to snap my fingers! Along with the music! I told him it was called snapping, and we snapped along to the song.  ....When the next song started, he proclaimed, "Mommy, pop again!"  :)

Sleeping in the chair.  Jonah typically takes 40 minutes to an hour to fall asleep for naps. He stays in his bed, but he will roll around, chatter away, and sing to himself before dozing off. I know many moms who transition their kids away from naps by instituting "quiet time" in their rooms - and these moms report their kids often will fall asleep while playing. I cannot imagine Jonah ever accidentally falling asleep. The other day he woke up super early from a nap, and he was pretty upset. I picked him up from his bed, and he immediately laid his head on my shoulder and fell asleep. I knew from experience that laying him back down was not an option - he would simply wake up again - but I also knew he wasn't quite ready to wake up yet. So I was content to hold him and rock awhile (cherish those snuggles!) ....until Cora woke up about 4 minutes later. Wanting him to sleep a little longer, so I tried to lay him in the chair. He woke up, of course. But I went to get Cora anyway.  But when I came back with Cora, he was sleeping in the chair! I couldn't believe it. I have literally never seen Jonah sleep anywhere but his bed or his car seat since he was a little, little baby. So of course, I snapped a picture. And then I tiptoed around our apartment while he continued to sleep for the next 45 minutes!


Oh Cora, I could just eat you up!

No comments: