Saturday, January 25, 2014

Day One

After a few weeks of back-up from Dad and Grandma, and lots of fun visitors, today marks the official beginning of my adventure staying home with two little ones. Brandon is working both days this weekend, so after a little help getting breakfast on this morning, we jumped right in!

Jonah decided to ease me into things by sleeping in until 7(!), and we enjoyed a nice breakfast together - Dad was even able to join us for a few minutes before heading into work! Jonah is stringing sentences together quite well and is becoming a little conversationalist, so we chatted while we ate. Cora's eating was a little off last night, but she made up for it by sleeping until 8, so I could get Jonah fed and breakfast cleaned up. Next up, it was time for Cora to eat. Thankfully, Jonah doesn't seem phased by the extra time and attention I give to Cora. In fact, when I feed her, he likes to stand at the side of my chair and give her kisses on her head and gently pat her back when I burp her. And he also narrates everything I do :)  "Time Baby Cora eat. Burp Baby Cora. Pat back. Eat more - Baby Cora eat more. Yeah." Sometimes I think he's more attentive to her than I am. He regularly informs when she has spit up - before I even notice. And this morning, she was lying on the floor, and he kept saying: "Baby Cora. Nose. Nose. Booger, nose." And sure enough, baby girl had finally sneezed out the massive booger I had heard her struggling to breath around all night! Whenever Cora is on the floor, Jonah still loves to snuggle right up next to her and check her out. In fact, yesterday, he was leaning in for a smooch while she played on her activity mat -- and she spit up right in his face! He calmly announced: "Spit up, spit up." The play between siblings is fun to watch. He seems to enjoy his big brother role.

After Cora had breakfast, it was time for a bath. I remember Jonah screaming through bath time for at least a few months. It was not an enjoyable time for anyone. Cora screamed through her first bath, but seems to be over it. So, after a very calm bath, Cora was ready for a nap! One of Jonah's favorite things to say these days is "I dunno!" While I was in our bedroom trying to get Cora down for a nap, Jonah must have noticed I was missing. I soon heard him wandering around outside our door... "Mama went....I dunno Mama went." And then he started knocking. And then he pressed his face right up to the crack in the door and yelled: "Hi! Hi Jonah!! Hi JonahRobinMama! Hi hi hi!!" This did not help Cora to nap. But we got her to sleep eventually.

Jonah and I got to have a little one-on-one attention while Cora napped. (Hey, I think I'm getting the hang of this!). Jonah is big into Duplos right now. At least once a day, he pulls out his bug tub and dumps them all over himself. Then he will sit contentedly for long stretches of time and "make a house, build with it, play Lego's." Duplos are wonderful :) We played with Duplos for a while this morning, and we read some books. And I even got lunch prepped before Cora woke up and needed to eat.

This afternoon, my friend Laura stopped by to meet Cora and hang out for a bit. And now, Brandon is on his way home from work - and then we're off to church! It seems we all survived our first day :) I even managed to fit in a shower AND a nap. Day One = Success!!

No comments: