Monday, October 1, 2012

The Nook, part 3

Sunday was our final day at the beach.  Jonah woke up nice and early, ready to take on the day - and be noisy!  In order to try and avoid waking up Kevin and Amy, we took him down to the beach.  We saw lots of early morning beach walkers - and Jonah greeted each and every one with a great big smile!  We had a relaxing morning sitting on the beach as we soaked up the last of our coastal sun.

Brandon, catching a wave

The men, talking about serious things

Beach  baby!
Buds!


We dipped Jonah's toes in the water...I'm not sure he liked it.  This picture was after a big wave came up and soaked him up to his belly button.  After that, when Brandon tried to dip his toes again, he kept curling up his legs to keep them out of the water.  I guess he prefers to stay high and dry on the sand.

Eventually, it was time to leave the beach :(  On our way home, we stopped at Smithfield's Chicken 'n Bar-B-Q for some authentic Carolina BBQ.  I must have been out of the room when Kevin told the story of his first time eating there - he ordered his sandwich, but was dismayed to find that they had forgot to put any BBQ sauce on his sandwich!  He marched up to the counter, and (by his own recounting) made quite a scene.  He later learned that barbecue in eastern North Carolina uses a vinegar-based sauce.  The more familiar ketchup-based sauces are popular in western and central North Carolina (or so says Wikipedia).  Anyway, I sat down to eat my sandwich and said, "Hey, they forgot to put sauce on my sandwich!"  Brandon explained that it wasn't that kind of barbecue.  They also put coleslaw on the sandwich - I've never seen that before, but it was delicious!  Oh, I also recommend the banana pudding, another southern staple.  Although definitely NOT paleo.

We have just one more day of our trip, so hang in there...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

They put coleslaw on your barbequed pork sandwich at the Old Man! Although I opted to
have it on the side. Looks like a great trip, thanks for sharing. Loved that last family picture.

Terri