Thursday, October 18, 2012

Thanks, Dad!

Brandon has a favorite kitchen utensil: The Rubber Scrapper.  (What...you don't have a favorite kitchen utensil?)



I think it appeals to his aversion to wasting food and his strong desire to finish things.  Every meal ends with a rubber scrapper to his plate or bowl to get the last bit of food.  Whenever he eats peanut butter, he uses a rubber scrapper to carefully clean the sides of the jar and smoothly level off the top of the peanut butter.  So that it's ready for next time.  I am not exaggerating when I say we have at least nine rubber scrappers in our kitchen drawer.

Recently, Brandon was feeding Jonah, and he grabbed a rubber scrapper, naturally, to get the last little bit out of the bowl.  He offered Jonah the rubber scrapper, which Jonah gladly licked clean.  Well, the past few mornings, when I have tried to offer Jonah a spoon full of sweet potatoes or peaches or whatever - he has just screamed at me.  Not hungry?  Still tired?  What's the deal??

This morning I finally tried a rubber scrapper.  ...And he gobbled up a bowl full of chicken and bananas (it looked and smelled as gross as it sounds).  Feeding an infant with a rubber scrapper the size of his head is a messy task.  Hopefully we're not starting a new trend.  I think we'd better stick with a spoon.

No comments: