Sunday, March 26, 2017

Chess

Jonah was quietly reading a book about mummies tonight and then abruptly announced "Let's play chess!" Apparently they had mentioned chess in the book. Jonah had learned the pieces and how they moved about a year ago but we had not played in some time. Below is the evolution of a chess game for a 5 year old:

The realization your queen is in danger.

"No the only way out of check is to take the rook with your queen."
The choice between quitting and continuing.
Bravely he chose to go on.

Checkmate.

"No we can't play another game, you are tired and need to go to bed."

I'm posting this now while I can still win. It won't be long before I am the one crying.

1 comment:

Brian said...

This is so awesome. The pain of losing is not a fun lesson to learn at any age...love that competitive spirit though :) Just like his dad.