Monday, September 7, 2015

First Day of School

Same day blogging! That can only mean one thing....Brandon is working nights this week, which means that when bedtime goes smoothly, I have a lot of time in the evenings. (Brandon is working on the OB floor this month. Last night, he and one other resident had to manage 14 laboring women - yikes! Appropriate way to spend this Labor Day holiday, I guess. He walked in the door this morning at 8:30 - 16 hours after he left for work yesterday - inhaled some food, and collapsed into bed).

Here's what we did today: It was Jonah's first day of school!

I know, I know...it's Labor Day! But when your husband works nearly every day, a holiday is not so different from every other day.

We are doing a little bit of "preschool" with Jonah at home this year, and today was our first day! We have been hyping it up for the past week or so, and he was pretty excited to jump right in. It's nothing super rigid. He's pretty excited to learn, so I'm trying to keep it light and fun. My biggest goal for this time is to work on Jonah's attention span and focus, as well as his self-control/impulsiveness. Ideally we will spend a little bit of time, a few days per week. My biggest concern is how to keep Cora occupied so I can focus on Jonah :)

I did a little interview with Jonah this morning. If I can remember, we'll repeat the same interview at the end of the year.


Jonah has become really interested in picking out his own clothes, lately. He comes up with some interesting combinations. I try to give some guidance, but if we're not going anywhere special, I usually just let him rock whatever he wants.  Cora was very excited to "school" today, too - whatever Brother does!





And to finish, here's a few random recent pictures - I have been trying to be better about taking pictures of the kids more regularly. I realized I have not been doing a great job, and I think I'll be sad to look back and not have pictures of them at this age.

Cora has been talking like crazy lately. I was in the kitchen the other day, and I heard Cora in the toy room saying, "yegos, take picture......yegos, take picture." I peaked around the corner, and she had climbed into the Lego tub and was posing for me. What a ham.

Cheeeeeeese!

It always takes a few days to readjust after we travel. Right after we got back from Iowa last week, we spent a morning running errands, and Cora crashed in the van on the way home. Usually, she wakes up when I take her out of the car, but this day, she was still zonked when I brought her inside, so I laid her on the couch, thinking she would just wake up. I think I even changed her diaper, but she kept sleeping for the next 30 minutes! It was sort of sweet - but ended up ruining her nap that afternoon :( Traveling is rough on the kids.


Cora was mad at me one day because I wouldn't let her have my phone, so I made her a phone of her own. She played around with it for a little while, but I think Jonah has enjoyed playing with it more than her!


Brandon actually had the day off on Saturday! We spent our morning at the zoo. Cora's hair is just long enough for pigtails. Here, she is checking out the penguins. They were super active on this morning. Jonah loves the recently reopened Tropics exhibit. It's an indoor exhibit where many of the birds fly around freely. There are signs all around with pictures of the birds, and Jonah loves to spot a bird, then run to the sign and find the same bird on the picture.


Brandon had most of Sunday off, as well! An entire 48 hours with Dad home....what a treat! We had a brief reprieve from the heat at the end of August, but we are back into the 90's here in Kansas. So Brandon pulled the pool out, and the kids enjoyed cooling down in the afternoon before Dad had to head into work for the night.


No comments: