We made it! Intern year is in the books, and Brandon is officially a second year resident! Here's a day-in-the-life view of our life these [busy!] days. Brandon starts PGY2 (post-graduate year two) on in-patient adult medicine, a busy rotation - which is also 5 days longer than the normal 4-week block so that they can start a new block on the new interns' first day (which is always July 1). It turned out to be a pretty boring day, but here we go:
4:15 - I vaguely hear Brandon's alarm go off, but roll over and go back to sleep. He's out the door before 5:30 to start his first day as a supervisor!
6:00 - I'm awake, no alarm necessary. Three years of motherhood have stolen my ability to sleep in. The kids are still sleeping, and I sit for a moment enjoying the silence.
6:30 - Jonah bursts out of his bedroom at full speed, singing at the top of lungs - a song he has made up, that seems to be about the bible story we read before bed last night. Cora is soon up, as well. Both kids are in a good mood this morning after a good night's sleep.
7:00 - Cora "helps" me cook breakfast, while Jonah busies himself with some books.
7:45 - After breakfast, I wash a few dishes, make the beds and get everyone dressed for the day - a little morning routine that always takes longer than I think it will, because of all the interruptions and distractions.
8:30 - Everyone is dressed and teeth brushed! The kids play for a bit while I make a plan for the day. Temps are reaching triple digits these days, so if we hope to spend any time outside, morning is usually our only shot. We have some errands to run, and it's also the 1st of the month - so I spend a few minutes looking at the budget/balancing accounts, etc. We're on our way by 9:00.
10:00 - Jonah is red-cheeked and has sweat dripping from his hair by the time we pack it up and leave the park. Cora was not feeling very adventurous today, so she spent most of our time sitting next to me on the bench. We are off to run some errands. First item on our list is to find some new shoes for Jonah. This turns out to be stressful for Cora. Since Jonah is trying on shoes, she insists on taking off her shoes and also trying on shoes, also, However, when I try to take the shoes off again, she loses it, and I have to wrestle her back into the cart. Not a happy camper.
We make our way back towards home, with a quick stop at the grocery store. Cora dozes off in the car a few minutes before we get there - a common occurrence since dropping her morning nap. I am hopeful this will not disrupt her actual nap this afternoon.
11:30 - Leftovers for lunch. Which is extra fun when the meal was not a big hit the first (or second) go-around...hence why we are still eating leftovers. Not much eating, but for the most part, everyone is still in a good mood.
12:30 - After a little bit of post-lunch playing/book reading....nap time! Perhaps because I know I am going to record it....I am extra productive today during naps. I clean up the kitchen after lunch and unload the dishwasher, fold and put away some laundry, do a little dinner prep, and spend a little time cleaning out my email. .....I may also have watched a little TV, and snuck in a tiny nap.
3:05 - Cora is awake! This is a good nap for her, and even still she is a bit cranky when she wakes. We read some books and play with Duplos until it's time to wake Jonah.
He probably didn't fall asleep until well after 1:30, so he hasn't napped nearly as long as Cora. But I have discovered it's best if he doesn't sleep past 3:30 or 3:45, although most days, he likely would. Cora loves to help wake up Jonah!
4:00 - We head to the YMCA - Mom gets a workout, the kids get to play in the Kidzone. It's a win-win. And a good way to kill some time before dinner, especially on nights when we're not sure if Daddy will make it home for dinner.
5:00 - I let the kids watch a few videos while I finish putting dinner together. This is the roughest time of day for Cora. She is getting hungry, and, at the first mention of dinner, she thinks we are eating NOW. It is hard to wait.
5:45 - We haven't heard anything from Brandon yet (even though his shift "ended" at 5:00), so we go ahead and start dinner. Each of them eats exactly one bite of the beef stroganoff I have prepared, but I have to cook more vegetables because they can't get enough of those. You win some, you lose some.
6:20 - Daddy's home! We survived our first day of residency, year two! Lots of laughter ensues, as the kids get good and riled up before bed. But we're on the downward slope towards bedtime. A successful day!
4:15 - I vaguely hear Brandon's alarm go off, but roll over and go back to sleep. He's out the door before 5:30 to start his first day as a supervisor!
6:00 - I'm awake, no alarm necessary. Three years of motherhood have stolen my ability to sleep in. The kids are still sleeping, and I sit for a moment enjoying the silence.
6:30 - Jonah bursts out of his bedroom at full speed, singing at the top of lungs - a song he has made up, that seems to be about the bible story we read before bed last night. Cora is soon up, as well. Both kids are in a good mood this morning after a good night's sleep.
7:00 - Cora "helps" me cook breakfast, while Jonah busies himself with some books.
7:45 - After breakfast, I wash a few dishes, make the beds and get everyone dressed for the day - a little morning routine that always takes longer than I think it will, because of all the interruptions and distractions.
8:30 - Everyone is dressed and teeth brushed! The kids play for a bit while I make a plan for the day. Temps are reaching triple digits these days, so if we hope to spend any time outside, morning is usually our only shot. We have some errands to run, and it's also the 1st of the month - so I spend a few minutes looking at the budget/balancing accounts, etc. We're on our way by 9:00.
10:00 - Jonah is red-cheeked and has sweat dripping from his hair by the time we pack it up and leave the park. Cora was not feeling very adventurous today, so she spent most of our time sitting next to me on the bench. We are off to run some errands. First item on our list is to find some new shoes for Jonah. This turns out to be stressful for Cora. Since Jonah is trying on shoes, she insists on taking off her shoes and also trying on shoes, also, However, when I try to take the shoes off again, she loses it, and I have to wrestle her back into the cart. Not a happy camper.
We make our way back towards home, with a quick stop at the grocery store. Cora dozes off in the car a few minutes before we get there - a common occurrence since dropping her morning nap. I am hopeful this will not disrupt her actual nap this afternoon.
11:30 - Leftovers for lunch. Which is extra fun when the meal was not a big hit the first (or second) go-around...hence why we are still eating leftovers. Not much eating, but for the most part, everyone is still in a good mood.
12:30 - After a little bit of post-lunch playing/book reading....nap time! Perhaps because I know I am going to record it....I am extra productive today during naps. I clean up the kitchen after lunch and unload the dishwasher, fold and put away some laundry, do a little dinner prep, and spend a little time cleaning out my email. .....I may also have watched a little TV, and snuck in a tiny nap.
3:05 - Cora is awake! This is a good nap for her, and even still she is a bit cranky when she wakes. We read some books and play with Duplos until it's time to wake Jonah.
He probably didn't fall asleep until well after 1:30, so he hasn't napped nearly as long as Cora. But I have discovered it's best if he doesn't sleep past 3:30 or 3:45, although most days, he likely would. Cora loves to help wake up Jonah!
4:00 - We head to the YMCA - Mom gets a workout, the kids get to play in the Kidzone. It's a win-win. And a good way to kill some time before dinner, especially on nights when we're not sure if Daddy will make it home for dinner.
5:00 - I let the kids watch a few videos while I finish putting dinner together. This is the roughest time of day for Cora. She is getting hungry, and, at the first mention of dinner, she thinks we are eating NOW. It is hard to wait.
5:45 - We haven't heard anything from Brandon yet (even though his shift "ended" at 5:00), so we go ahead and start dinner. Each of them eats exactly one bite of the beef stroganoff I have prepared, but I have to cook more vegetables because they can't get enough of those. You win some, you lose some.
6:20 - Daddy's home! We survived our first day of residency, year two! Lots of laughter ensues, as the kids get good and riled up before bed. But we're on the downward slope towards bedtime. A successful day!
No comments:
Post a Comment