Thursday, June 25, 2015

Napping

After we got back from Michigan, we got to work rearranging Cora's sleeping patterns. She has never been a super consistent napper - not terrible, just variable - but lately it had been getting a bit more disrupted. Like, if she happened to take a really good morning nap, she would fight sleep during her afternoon nap. It seemed like she might be getting ready to go down to one nap.

Right when we got back from our trip, Jonah had two weeks of daily swim lessons right during morning nap time, so I decided to make the push and have Cora drop her morning nap, since we already had somewhere to be each morning.  I knew she would not miss her morning nap (since it was never very consistent anyway). She has never been one to get crabby just because she's tired, especially if there's something going on to keep her interest. The difficult part proved to be getting her home without her dozing off in the van. But I discovered that, unlike Jonah, if she does happen to drift off in the van, I can move her into her crib and she will continue napping.  Hooray!

The other difficult part was that she continued to nap for about 75 minutes. So where before she was napping 2.5-3 hours a day, now she was napping just over an hour! Ugh, not enough sleep. I discovered that I could often get her to go back to sleep after waking, but she could not seem to get past this magic 75 minute mark on her own. It's a like a little timer goes off, she sits up, then can't figure out why she's awake. Now, about three and half weeks after starting this process, she is finally starting to nap consistently longer than an hour, often two hours or more. And since Jonah is still taking a good nap each afternoon - this is cause to CELEBRATE!! I have not had this much free time since before Cora was born. (Hence blogging two days in a row).

Sleep on, little girl!
We have another reason to celebrate - Jonah is "officially" potty-trained!! Meaning, he can finally do the whole process - realizing he has to go, taking himself to the bathroom, undressing, doing his business, redressing - all by himself! Jonah has been out of diapers for a while now, but refusing to take responsibility for most of the process. This is probably my fault, because it was easier to just do it for him. But one day, I got tired of it, and told him I wasn't going to help anymore. He needed to do it himself. He resisted at first but quickly learned works much better if he participates :)

I am actually looking forward to potty training a girl (maybe a slight exaggeration), because it has to be easier, right?? Certainly less complicated. (Maybe more emotional?)

No comments: