On Sunday, we dropped Brandon off for a week-long rural clinic experience, as part of his pediatrics rotation. The clinic is in(/near/attached to?) the local hospital - so he is staying IN the hospital for the week! The room Brandon is staying in is actually part of the old birthing unit (no longer being used) and formerly a labor and delivery room - ha! He is sleeping on an old hospital bed (which he reports is terribly uncomfortable), but he has cable tv...so there's that.
We were feeling bummed about Brandon being gone all week, so I called Grandma and asked her to come visit for a few days. She gladly made the drive over Monday morning, and we had a blast! I was able to run errands without Jonah in tow, and Grandma and Jonah got in lots of quality time together. Having my mom's sewing expertise at hand also gave me the push to finally start on the I-Spy quilt I have been planning to make for Jonah ever since I completed one for my nephews last Christmas (my first ever attempt at a quilt). She helped me piece together the quilt top - and I even convinced her to hem a dress for me yesterday afternoon, since the sewing machine was already out! With Grandma around to entertain Jonah, I was able to finish the quilt top AND the back. All that's left is the basting, quilting and binding. It's amazing how much more quickly these things go the second time around. (Although, my stitching is still pretty sloppy, so don't look too closely).
Grandma's visit was not all work and no play. We managed to squeeze in some fun, as well. After Jonah's nap on Monday, we drove down to Sass Family Farm to take in some fall-themed fun. It was a little underwhelming, but probably plenty of excitement for Jonah. It was a beautiful day, and we were glad to spend some time outside! Jonah played in a (tiny!) corn pool and also checked out the sheep. There were pumpkins all over the place to point at - "pumpkin" is a new favorite word for Jonah, so this was very exciting.
We went on a hayride around the property. Since it's October, it was a "haunted" hayride - but it was sort of a bizarre mix of kid-themed decorations (Dora the Explorer dressed up as a cat, trick-or-treating) and really creepy/spooky decorations (bats, witches, ghosts, snakes, very large spiders, etc.). I'm not sure who the target audience is. But Jonah enjoyed spotting all the pumpkin decorations and looking out at the corn fields. However, by the end of the ride, he was only interested in looking at pictures of himself on Grandma's camera :) This kid is a technology/electronics ADDICT.
Before we left the farm, Grandma got Jonah his very own (Jonah-sized!) pumpkin! He was very excited. He carried it around and was pretty thrilled to show Daddy later that evening when we Skyped.
Tomorrow, my parents, along with Rob and Whitney, my grandparents, and my aunt Kari, are heading out east to celebrate my cousin Greg's wedding! I'm bummed we have to miss the party. It sounds like a fun weekend in Baltimore with lots of festivities planned. My parents and grandparents are also planning a trip to D.C., since they will already be out there...hopefully the government can get its act together before then, so they are able to enjoy the sights!
Checking out Daddy's digs for the week:
We were feeling bummed about Brandon being gone all week, so I called Grandma and asked her to come visit for a few days. She gladly made the drive over Monday morning, and we had a blast! I was able to run errands without Jonah in tow, and Grandma and Jonah got in lots of quality time together. Having my mom's sewing expertise at hand also gave me the push to finally start on the I-Spy quilt I have been planning to make for Jonah ever since I completed one for my nephews last Christmas (my first ever attempt at a quilt). She helped me piece together the quilt top - and I even convinced her to hem a dress for me yesterday afternoon, since the sewing machine was already out! With Grandma around to entertain Jonah, I was able to finish the quilt top AND the back. All that's left is the basting, quilting and binding. It's amazing how much more quickly these things go the second time around. (Although, my stitching is still pretty sloppy, so don't look too closely).
We went on a hayride around the property. Since it's October, it was a "haunted" hayride - but it was sort of a bizarre mix of kid-themed decorations (Dora the Explorer dressed up as a cat, trick-or-treating) and really creepy/spooky decorations (bats, witches, ghosts, snakes, very large spiders, etc.). I'm not sure who the target audience is. But Jonah enjoyed spotting all the pumpkin decorations and looking out at the corn fields. However, by the end of the ride, he was only interested in looking at pictures of himself on Grandma's camera :) This kid is a technology/electronics ADDICT.
Before we left the farm, Grandma got Jonah his very own (Jonah-sized!) pumpkin! He was very excited. He carried it around and was pretty thrilled to show Daddy later that evening when we Skyped.
After the farm, we made our way back to Iowa City and met up with Uncle Bob and Aunt Whitney for dinner. So fun to have them so close. We need to be better about getting together with Whitney and Rob more than just when my parents visit :)
Yesterday Jonah got in a lot more playtime with Grandma while I worked on my quilt. It rained most of the morning, so we mostly hung around the apartment. Jonah is such a goofy little boy, and his little personality is starting to come out. We both enjoyed having Grandma here for a few days to get through this week with Brandon around. I feel like I got a lot accomplished - and it was also nice to have a little adult interaction :)
| Finally! Tuesday afternoon, after waiting (mostly) patiently for two days, Jonah got to play with Grandma's iPad for a little while. |




No comments:
Post a Comment