Monday, September 9, 2013

River Weekend

Brandon worked every single day over Labor Day weekend.  What a bummer!  As summer's last hurrah, Jonah and I headed north to spend some time on the Mississippi.  Because of flooding/high river earlier this summer (I can't believe that's even possible, given how DRY and brown the state is right now!) and a busy travel schedule...we have not set foot on the boat even once this summer!  I'd say we were overdue.

Earlier this summer, we attempted to attend the local 4th of July parade in Coralville, but it was sort of a bust. First, I made the mistake of heading out about 25 minutes before the parade started...and discovered I was a few hours late to snag a curbside view. Rookie mistake. Second, Brandon was helping some friends move and I so was on my own - but I started feeling sick (middle of my first trimester), and we had to leave after about 10 minutes and very slowly make our way home. Jonah really enjoyed the parts we did get to see, however, so I was excited for the Labor Day Parade in McGregor.  As a bonus, it passed right in front of my cousin's house, so she staked out some great seats. It was a short parade, perfect for little ones with short attention spans. My uncle's award-winning marching band came over from Wisconsin to march in the parade, and there was lots of family in town for the holiday weekend.  We had quite the little crowd

Waiting for the parade to begin
 Here it comes!
 Candy-collecting crew - next generation of Strutt cousins
 The Onalaska Marching Hilltoppers, lead by Dawson Strutt

 After the parade, we made our way downtown where the band performed the music from their field show in a little mini-concert. Pretty impressive group...brought back memories of my days as a Marchmaster :) My uncle is heading into his last year of teaching and checking off a list of "lasts" - this was his last parade!
Grandpa's look-alike!
After their performance, the band requested an appearance by my dad...they wanted to see if he and my uncle really look like twins :)  I'd say they do.

The rest of the weekend was spent on the river! It was blazing hot Saturday and Sunday, which made for perfect swimming weather. Jonah got in the river three times - before AND after nap on Saturday, and after his nap on Sunday.  Monday morning, the weather turned mild and we enjoyed our last morning on the boat with cool breezes and some Slumgulligan for brunch - an Uncle Craig specialty.

 


Jonah is a big fan of second-cousin Trace
Our little mooch - getting some water from Grandpa Great

Lovin' Summer Time!!


No comments: