Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Favorite Recipes - Desserts Edition

It's no secret that I love desserts! I have almost 300 recipes stored in my digital cookbook/collection - and nearly half are desserts! I think I might have a problem.  Many, many, many of these get saved but never tested. I probably don't need any more dessert recipes, but the pictures always make them look so yummy, I can't resist saving them to try "some day". My problem is, when I find something I like, I tend to make it over and over. And there are only so many occasions which require a dessert. So I have quite a few "go-to" recipes, and many of the "some day" recipes never get a chance to be used.  Here are a few of my favorites in the sweets category.

  • The Recipe: Monster Cookie Pie - Tasty Kitchen
    • All the goodness of monster cookies, in no-bake pie form!
  • The Revision: I don't know why recipes like this always call for sugar-free this and low-fat that. You're making a dessert - embrace it! It's not like you're going to eat the whole pie in one sitting, right?  I used regular pudding mix (and cut the brown sugar in half so it wouldn't be overly sweet) and regular Cool Whip (because reduced fat Cool Whip is gross!). This pie is NOT healthy, but that's what makes it yummy.
  • The Rave: This pie is easy to make, a little unique, and super good! The graham cracker crust, with oats mixed in, is a little different, and kind of tastes like a cookie. The pie itself is sort of in between ice cream and mousse. And it just looks fun! With the M&M's, this would be a nice addition to any holiday gathering, because you can always find holiday-colored M&M's -- Christmas, Halloween, Valentine's Day...

  • The Recipe: Funfetti Cookies - Tasty Kitchen
    • Sugar cookies with sprinkles mixed right in :)
  • The Revision: I actually didn't change a thing about this recipe :)
  • The Rave: These cookies are fun because of the sprinkles, and the almond extract give them a wonderful sugar cookie flavor. The are soft, but dense/doughy. The recipe also makes a reasonable number of cookies, which is helpful when you don't need to feed a crowd.

  • The Recipe: Chocolate Chip Cookie & PB-Caramel Bars - The Bite Sized Baker
    • Chocolate chip cookie bars with a layer of peanut butter caramel in the middle
  • The Revision: When I make this, I use ready-made cookie dough - a large chub and a small chub are just the perfect amount.  You could really use any kind of cookie dough you want!
  • The Rave: These bars remind me of the German Chocolate Caramel Bars my mom makes.  Same idea - those are two brownie-like layers made with German Chocolate cake mix, with a layer of caramel sandwiched in between. Only this recipe adds peanut butter to the caramel layer - which sounds a little strange, but is actually pretty great! This is my go-to dessert if I need to bring something and don't have much time to plan or prep.

Previous posts in this series:

No comments: