Sunday, September 8, 2013

Escape

Jonah is at that age where his communication skills are constantly expanding, it seems. He understands what we say; he is able to communicate his thoughts to us. Pretty cool. In the past few weeks, both the number of words in his vocabulary and the frequency of his words has really ramped up. Our days are filled with "up-up-up, up-up-up" (why use one word, when three will do?) "pay...pay...pay (please)," and "book, book, book, book, book, book, book." Constant chatter.  He is generally not whiny, but so, so persistent. It is a bit exhausting. I am so introverted and need time to sit and think and occasionally not do anything. I know we will find our groove, as we have through each transition in his short-but-constantly-evolving life. I will find times to steal those moments alone and recharge, as I have through each phase of parenthood so far. Adaptation is the name of the game.

It probably doesn't help that all this transitioning is happening in the middle of a rotation for Brandon that has him working 6 days a week, with weekday shifts usually pushing the 12 hour mark. So Jonah and I go man-to-man from the time he wakes until about 20 minutes before bedtime. Day after day. (And I know Brandon is wiped when he gets home, too). I know this is just a glimpse at our life for the next few years, once residency begins. My day-to-day is definitely not hard. Even more than that, it is pretty great! But, by the end of this week, I was pretty spent mentally. So I begged - begged - Brandon to let me escape: let me go sit somewhere, uninterrupted for a few hours and do whatever I want. I felt bad asking this, as I know this schedule has been wearing on him, too. But I also knew I needed a break before we head into another week. He gladly gave me this gift of time.

I left the house, by myself, and did a lot of nothing! And a little bit of something. I de-cluttered my inbox and my hard drive and my mind. I listened to music without doing anything else. I did a little reading and a lot of thinking, reflecting, praying. I sipped a cool beverage. And I came away recharged and ready to start the week! A perfect Sabbath day.

1 comment:

Rob said...

Becca,

Thanks for this cool pic of Jonah. He is my wallpaper at school!

Maybe when we arrive, you and BW can steal a night away.

Rob