Esther is TEN months old today! For me, this is the month my babies stop looking so much like babies. She has changed so much in just the last month, and it won't be long before we have a babbling, toddling, not-baby on our hands!
Gross motor: Esther is a crawling machine, motoring her way around where ever she wants to go, still getting into everything. She is putting my baby-proofing skills to the test. Just this morning: she yanked a table runner off the buffet, pulling everything piled on top of it down onto the floor; she crawled into the kitchen while I was brushing my teeth and emptied half a cupboard; and during Cora's gymnastics class, she crawled into the bathroom and unrolled most of a roll of toilet paper onto the floor. She is busy! She is also pulling up on everything, and even standing unassisted for a few seconds at a time. She loves to hold your hands and walk around. She seems to have some left-side weakness. I noticed this when she first started belly-scooting, and even still, her right side is much more engaged when she crawls, and she always uses her right leg to push herself up to standing. Brandon thinks I'm insane/obsessive...but we're just watching it and trying to encourage her to use both arms and legs.
Sleep: Still rocking 12-14 hour nights, and I think we have all but kicked the early morning wake-up. Most mornings, we still hear from her between 5-6am, but usually only for 5-10 seconds, then she goes back to sleep on her own. In fact, most mornings, I have to wake her up so we can get Jonah to school on time! But amazingly, given the chance, she still sleeps in on the weekends. I've never had a kid that did that! Her naps are also improving, and she will usually get two 75 minute naps a day. I do not take for granted that I am able to put three kids down for nap/quiet time at the same time and get about an hour to myself each day! She still screams like mad when I put her down for naps, but it literally lasts long enough for her to get her fingers up to her mouth. I am still waiting for her to wake up happy - she usually lets me know she's awake by shrieking, but is happy once I pick her up.
Eating: Still eating like a champ! Her list of foods is getting big enough, that she can mostly eat what the rest of us are eating - which is nice for Mama. She is a slow eater, but since she feeds herself, I am able to multi-task and get other things done while she finishes.
Sibling love: Esther loves her big bro and sis, and they are loving that she is getting more interactive. Jonah and Esther continue to have a special bond, and she even tolerates his roughness. (She dishes it back in the form of face-smacks when he gets too close). Cora and Esther have been having fun together, too, as Esther gets more interested in playing with toys and following Cora around. Such sweetness for a mama to see.
Gross motor: Esther is a crawling machine, motoring her way around where ever she wants to go, still getting into everything. She is putting my baby-proofing skills to the test. Just this morning: she yanked a table runner off the buffet, pulling everything piled on top of it down onto the floor; she crawled into the kitchen while I was brushing my teeth and emptied half a cupboard; and during Cora's gymnastics class, she crawled into the bathroom and unrolled most of a roll of toilet paper onto the floor. She is busy! She is also pulling up on everything, and even standing unassisted for a few seconds at a time. She loves to hold your hands and walk around. She seems to have some left-side weakness. I noticed this when she first started belly-scooting, and even still, her right side is much more engaged when she crawls, and she always uses her right leg to push herself up to standing. Brandon thinks I'm insane/obsessive...but we're just watching it and trying to encourage her to use both arms and legs.
Return of the Dada: After a month or so of silence, Esther has started babbling again! And it's all 'Dada', all the time. "Esther, can you say, 'Mama'?" "[pause, smile].......Da da da da da" :) She also does "So big" and claps and waves bye-bye and plays peek-a-boo. She is starting to understand, "No" - but she thinks it's a game. And my favorite development this month -- she gives kisses and hugs upon request! And they are the sweetest, tightest little bear [cub] hugs, complete with a little pat on the back. And if you ask for one, she'll give you ten :) One particular day, she was feeling sassy, and when Daddy asked for a hug, she looked at him, smiled....and gave Mommy a big squeeze instead! Repeat a dozen times. Still a mama's girl.
Sleep: Still rocking 12-14 hour nights, and I think we have all but kicked the early morning wake-up. Most mornings, we still hear from her between 5-6am, but usually only for 5-10 seconds, then she goes back to sleep on her own. In fact, most mornings, I have to wake her up so we can get Jonah to school on time! But amazingly, given the chance, she still sleeps in on the weekends. I've never had a kid that did that! Her naps are also improving, and she will usually get two 75 minute naps a day. I do not take for granted that I am able to put three kids down for nap/quiet time at the same time and get about an hour to myself each day! She still screams like mad when I put her down for naps, but it literally lasts long enough for her to get her fingers up to her mouth. I am still waiting for her to wake up happy - she usually lets me know she's awake by shrieking, but is happy once I pick her up.
Eating: Still eating like a champ! Her list of foods is getting big enough, that she can mostly eat what the rest of us are eating - which is nice for Mama. She is a slow eater, but since she feeds herself, I am able to multi-task and get other things done while she finishes.
| Bean beard! |
No comments:
Post a Comment