I am super behind on blogging, and may just need to do a catch-up post. But first...a few words about this sweet little love, who celebrated her half birthday yesterday!
The other night, I was putting Esther to bed, and I had a flashback to the early days and weeks, when the going-to-bed process often took 2-3 hours -- from the time I started the last feeding of the day, until she was asleep in her crib. Now a days, I feed her for less than 20 minutes, walk her back to the nursery, and lay her in her crib. Done. Twenty-one minutes, tops. She's like a whole different baby; I can't believe the dramatic turn around.
She continues to be a champ sleeper, now sleeping 12-13 hours at night without waking (a relatively new development)! Naps are getting better, too, but still super variable. But I can't complain one bit - she is very forgiving of our hectic schedules and happy all the time :)
Esther's favorite person, hands down, is Dad. She perks up at the sound of his voice and always lights up when she sees him. When he asks for a kiss, she leans in, mouth open, for a slobbery mouthful of his face. She has recently started giving him a pouty lip when he goes to leave, and it is both adorable and sad to watch.
Esther's second favorite person is Jonah. He is equally enamored with her. She loves to watch him be wild and crazy or silly and sweet. And if he'll just slow down, she loves reach out and grab him. He is working on being gentle with her and more in control of his body - but it is super sweet to watch their relationship begin to develop.
Cora and Esther also have some sweet moments together, but Cora's attention span is much shorter, so I think she moves on if she doesn't get an immediate response.
Esther has some serious chub. Wearing 9-12 month clothing and size 3 diapers. She also has two teeth! (I took advantage of a rare crying moment to get a picture, because it was easier to see the teeth.) Funny story: I was watching the big kids at a swim lesson, and another mom asked if Esther was teething. Nope, she's just a drooly baby. But then I stuck my finger in her mouth, and, in fact, she had two teeth already popped through. I think I noticed Jonah's first tooth before it even fully broke through the gums -- sorry, third child!
Esther picked up some skills in the past month. She is a pretty rock solid sitter now. And she is definitely scooting around on her belly. She can cover pretty good distance, but her motivation is pretty incremental - there has to be something interesting just out of reach. The other day, I left the room, and she took her first trip down the step into the toy room. I think she was playing with the wipes bag and pushed it down the step, then went after it. She landed in this basket, but didn't seem too bothered by it. She was just hanging out there when I returned. We still need to figure out a solution for all the tiny pieces that seem to be perpetually scattered around our house!!
The other night, I was putting Esther to bed, and I had a flashback to the early days and weeks, when the going-to-bed process often took 2-3 hours -- from the time I started the last feeding of the day, until she was asleep in her crib. Now a days, I feed her for less than 20 minutes, walk her back to the nursery, and lay her in her crib. Done. Twenty-one minutes, tops. She's like a whole different baby; I can't believe the dramatic turn around.
She continues to be a champ sleeper, now sleeping 12-13 hours at night without waking (a relatively new development)! Naps are getting better, too, but still super variable. But I can't complain one bit - she is very forgiving of our hectic schedules and happy all the time :)
Esther's favorite person, hands down, is Dad. She perks up at the sound of his voice and always lights up when she sees him. When he asks for a kiss, she leans in, mouth open, for a slobbery mouthful of his face. She has recently started giving him a pouty lip when he goes to leave, and it is both adorable and sad to watch.
Hi, Dad! Hi, Dad! Hi, Dad! Wait...don't leave :(
Esther's second favorite person is Jonah. He is equally enamored with her. She loves to watch him be wild and crazy or silly and sweet. And if he'll just slow down, she loves reach out and grab him. He is working on being gentle with her and more in control of his body - but it is super sweet to watch their relationship begin to develop.
Cora and Esther also have some sweet moments together, but Cora's attention span is much shorter, so I think she moves on if she doesn't get an immediate response.
Esther's first food was egg yolk, and she loved it! Her habit of sticking her fingers in her mouth makes it quite a messy process. I am hopeful that this initial enthusiasm means she will be more like her brother when it comes to food - he loved everything! - and less like Cora, who hated the eggs, and continues to be a super picky eater.
Esther picked up some skills in the past month. She is a pretty rock solid sitter now. And she is definitely scooting around on her belly. She can cover pretty good distance, but her motivation is pretty incremental - there has to be something interesting just out of reach. The other day, I left the room, and she took her first trip down the step into the toy room. I think she was playing with the wipes bag and pushed it down the step, then went after it. She landed in this basket, but didn't seem too bothered by it. She was just hanging out there when I returned. We still need to figure out a solution for all the tiny pieces that seem to be perpetually scattered around our house!!
She has also started trying to imitate raspberries. A spitty, drooly, happy mess :)
And, just like that, half a year is gone!

No comments:
Post a Comment