We had not seen Bibi and Babu for about two months! When we traveled to Michigan in June, they were in Africa, and we didn't get to see them. Jonah and I made a trip back to Michigan last week to catch them after they returned. (Traveling solo with a small child is less fun than traveling with another adult...but we made it).
Soon after we arrived, we heard there was a party going on at Aunt Sandy's house, so we packed up our swimming gear and made the short drive over there. Jonah has become quite the water bug and really enjoys swimming. The water was a bit chilly, but that didn't stop Babu and Jonah from jumping right in. Jonah stayed in the water until his lips were blue and his teeth were chattering. Bibi was waiting with a warm, dry towel and some snuggles when we finally coaxed him out of the pool.
Brandon's family tends to stay up much later than I do, generally. (What can I say, I like my sleep!) But since Bibi and Babu were just home from Africa and still adjusting back to Eastern Time, I found myself the last one awake the first night we were there. I can't say that has ever happened before. Nor will it likely ever happen again :)
On Sunday, after a bath, church, and a stellar two-hour nap, we took in a bit of the Tigers game down at Grandma Kathy's house. But then it was time to hit the beach! Bibi and Babu have a cabin on a little lake not far from Morrice. In fact, it was the first place Brandon and I "lived" after we got married - we spent three days there packing our lives into four suitcases before we jumped on a plane to Hungary for 10 months!
Our little beach baby spent about 30 minutes diligently scooping up spoonfuls of sand and then carefully dumping it into a small bowl. He made it look so fun, he even attracted a few playmates who sat down and dug in the sand along side him. He only tried to eat the sand a few times. He was not a fan.
Soon after we arrived, we heard there was a party going on at Aunt Sandy's house, so we packed up our swimming gear and made the short drive over there. Jonah has become quite the water bug and really enjoys swimming. The water was a bit chilly, but that didn't stop Babu and Jonah from jumping right in. Jonah stayed in the water until his lips were blue and his teeth were chattering. Bibi was waiting with a warm, dry towel and some snuggles when we finally coaxed him out of the pool.
Brandon's family tends to stay up much later than I do, generally. (What can I say, I like my sleep!) But since Bibi and Babu were just home from Africa and still adjusting back to Eastern Time, I found myself the last one awake the first night we were there. I can't say that has ever happened before. Nor will it likely ever happen again :)
On Sunday, after a bath, church, and a stellar two-hour nap, we took in a bit of the Tigers game down at Grandma Kathy's house. But then it was time to hit the beach! Bibi and Babu have a cabin on a little lake not far from Morrice. In fact, it was the first place Brandon and I "lived" after we got married - we spent three days there packing our lives into four suitcases before we jumped on a plane to Hungary for 10 months!
Our little beach baby spent about 30 minutes diligently scooping up spoonfuls of sand and then carefully dumping it into a small bowl. He made it look so fun, he even attracted a few playmates who sat down and dug in the sand along side him. He only tried to eat the sand a few times. He was not a fan.
Jonah also did some swimming with Babu while Bibi and I held down the beach. Aunt Erin and Uncle Aaron also joined us for a bit. All that sun must have worn him out, because we came home for a nap - and I had to wake Jonah up two and half hours later because it was getting too close to bedtime! We skyped with Dad, ate some dinner, and miraculously, after all that napping, Jonah still went right to bed! All that playing is hard work!
Before we left, Babu made sure to give Jonah a ride on his "tractor" - Mom wasn't too sure about this idea. Jonah seemed to enjoy it!
We were also able to spend a few days in Grand Rapids visiting college roommates and friends while we were in Michigan. I didn't take many pictures. But, we were able to enjoy: dinner out with some old friends - some of whom I hadn't seen in years; lounging by the pool with Laura and Tisa; dinner and a bonfire with my some of my roommates; and breakfast with an old friend on Saturday before heading to Morrice. I really wanted to go blueberry picking while we were in Michigan, so Tisa, Laura and I drove around for about an hour before we finally found what we thought was a U-pick blueberry farm, and a very annoyed lady told us blueberries weren't ready yet. Oops. We stayed with the Pridgeons, and Jonah enjoyed playing around with Kate, who is just four months older. I did manage to get a picture of the kids - both sitting still and sort of looking at the camera!
We squeezed a lot into a short trip. Jonah was excited to see Dad when we finally made it home. The rest of this week has been spent trying to keep cool as the temps soar to almost 100! It's summertime :)
No comments:
Post a Comment