I have always been interested in photography, and I thought this trip would be a great opportunity to learn more about my camera and get a ton of practice. I have found that, indeed, I want to record everything I see. There is SO MUCH to look at – things I couldn't describe, but things I want to remember. So much color and activity everywhere; jarring contrasts and subtle details. I want to be able to share this experience, and to record it for myself. However, this has been difficult for a couple of reasons. First, I have discovered that I'm not really very good at taking pictures. It never quite turns out the way it looked to my eyes; I can't quite capture the image the way I want. This is very frustrating.
Second, I am very self-conscious about taking pictures, especially here. Everywhere we go, people stare at us. Long, uncomfortable stares. I'm not sure if it is a cultural difference (maybe staring is more acceptable?); or because I stand out with my pasty skin, light hair, and weird clothes; or maybe a little of both. Taking pictures feels intrusive. It is difficult to be subtle when everyone is already staring at you. Will they be offended or angry if I take a picture? Is it just annoying? Rude?
I hope that I am able to get past all this so that I can start taking pictures. For now, I'll stick to more willing subjects…
| Brandon with Shaambhavi - Go Hawks! (You have to get them started early) |
No comments:
Post a Comment