Unemployed, applying for any and every job posting I could find, receiving a decent number of interviews (and an equally depressing number of "Thanks for interviewing, but..." letters), and feeling generally pretty depressed and hopeless about the future.
I remember feeling purposeless, debating about whether to change course and stop looking for a job in the legal field, but also not knowing what direction to go instead. I also remember thinking that things were actually not bad - I was fortunate to have a husband who was supportive of me, both emotionally, but also literally/financially (still do!). We have a great home, fantastic friends and family, and most importantly, a mighty God. I knew my circumstances wouldn't last forever, but it was still incredibly frustrating and humbling. A year later, and I still remember that feeling vividly.
And then when I look back on all that's happened since that time, I am blown away:
| Taj Mahal - Agra, India |
We traveled - a lot. In February, Brandon decided his work with the foundation in India had moved about as far as it could with him working from a distance. He had visited India on two previous occasions, for a week or two at a time, but he thought he could help get things moving along if he were able to invest a little more time. And it just so happened, I was also available to do some traveling. So, in March, we took off for a 12-week trip to India. It was incredible. I love traveling with my husband. We spent our first year of marriage basically traveling around Eastern Europe. India was not as enjoyable as our time in Europe, for a number of reasons. But the warm weather and abundant sunshine - which amounted to an early summer for this mid-western girl - were just what I needed. We returned home from India in May, and then traveled almost every month after that for the rest of the year. In June, I went to Texas for Jenny's bachelorette party; in July we went back to Houston for the wedding (what a fun time!); and in August
| Traditional Sibling Picture at Jenny's wedding (5 weeks pregnant!) |
I got to cross an item off my 2011 to-do list when we "visit(ed) Maine in the summer." Brandon traveled to Bar Harbor, ME for a conference, and I got to tag along. A week on this beautiful island, with beautiful weather, and precious time alone with Brandon. My kind of vacation. September was pretty low-key, but in October, we flew to Pittsburgh to witness our friend, Lissa, get married. It was sort of a mini college reunion, and we loved seeing friends we don't see often enough - some we had not seen in years. November and December travels were a little more run-of-the-mill, holiday travels. But we always enjoy spending time with family. Christmas with my family was especially fun this year because we had five pregnant cousin on both the Strutt and Henkes sides, and it was a year where all my siblings spent Christmas with my fam (as opposed to the in-laws).
| Top of Precipice Mountain, Bar Harbor, ME (9 weeks pregnant, and we climbed a mountain) |
It doesn't happen often that all five (nine, if you count spouses) of us are able to get together. We got to do it twice this year, thanks to Jenny and Aaron's wedding!
![]() |
| Our first look at Baby Alleman |
Thinking back on this past year helps to remind me that I should not expect to remain exactly where I am. Situations change in the blink of an eye. This is especially difficult for me to see when I am feeling low - and it seems like things are never going to change. But I also want to remember that just because 2012 started off with many great things: anticipation of the arrival of our son, many sun-filled 50 or 60 degree days, very little snow (yay!), and precious time with loved ones - doesn't mean that the year's course is set in stone. Most importantly, I want to remember that my circumstances don't have to define me. So, no matter what 2012 brings, I can (and do) choose hope.
And now, just for fun - a picture comparison:
| 10 weeks - 08/21/11 |
| Holding in my belly button because it grosses Brandon out - haha 33 weeks - 01/29/12 |
Well...that was sort of depressing. Much less sun-kissed in January. Six weeks to go, Baby. Now, if only we could agree on a name for you...

No comments:
Post a Comment